- Uncommon Goods offers an ever-changing assortment of original, creative gifts. We partner with independent makers and small businesses to offer our customers an assortment of items that they love to surprise loved ones with (and treat themselves, too)!
- We are built on better business practices and committed to having a positive impact on people and the planet. Learn more here.
- The best part of Uncommon Goods is us—our team. We've been around for over 20 years because of all the wonderful people who make UG the one-of-a-kind company it is.
ABOUT THE ROLE
As our Temporary Production Artist—reporting to the Senior Art Director—your role will be to take on the realization of designs from concept to production during the final stages of development, ensuring accuracy and preparing them for print or digital publication. To be successful in this position, you should combine strong creative and technical skills to format various images and designs and meet high quality standards. This is a temporary position expected to last through December 2020, with the possibility of becoming permanent.
You can step back and see the whole picture, where everything connects—and you can zoom in to finesse the tiniest details. You have the technical know-how to get the job done with strong layout skills, organizational abilities and excellent file-categorizing prowess to ensure artwork is production-ready and projects are completed on time. You are as comfortable collaborating with others—from our writers and marketing team to product and tech teams—as you are working on your own. You don’t consider something complete until the kerning or QA is just right, and you love a detailed style guide.
- Own catalog production process, which involves formatting artwork, inserting product copy and images, preparing files for print and ensuring print quality standards are met
- Collect, process and organize assets for our social channels and email program
- Work closely with Senior Art Director and Sr. Graphic Designer
- Finalize designs for production, by reviewing graphics, layouts and fonts before projects are completed
- Coordinate with internal departments (marketing and photo) as well as external vendors (printers)
- Collaborate with other creative team members to create consistency across platforms and assets
- Work closely, building great relationships, with cross-functional partners in product management, merchandising, and marketing
- Be a proactive problem solver by seeking out opportunities to better streamline our work flow
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Degree in Graphic Design—preferred, but not necessary if experience and portfolio warrant
- 3+ years of production design experience
- Have a strong balance of typography, layout, and design skills
- Have experience with catalog production design, as well as production for email, web and social channels
- Ability to work quickly and efficiently under pressure, handle multiple projects, contribute to a team effort and deliver on individual responsibilities
- Have a solutions-oriented mentality, and an open, positive and collaborative communication style
- Extremely well-organized
- Being well-versed in InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Sketch, After Effects is a plus
- Basic knowledge of HTML is a plus
- Casual work atmosphere, fun company events. (Thanks to our team's creativity, we've devised ways to feel connected remotely, too, and it's still fun.)
- 40% discount on our products.
- Safe working environment. Many of our COVID-19 protocols exceed NYC and NYS safety standards. Those who can are working remotely. In our office and warehouse, COVID-19 testing is required of all new hires and monthly for all team members; PPE, including masks and gloves, is required for all team members; and workspaces provide recommended social distancing.
To apply, please submit the following. We will only consider applications that include a cover letter.
- Cover letter
- Portfolio or link to portfolio
UncommonGoods is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer