Job Posting: Operations Intern, Paid
- Uncommon Goods offers an ever-changing assortment of original, creative gifts. We partner with independent makers and small businesses to offer our customers an assortment of items that they love to surprise loved ones with (and treat themselves, too)!
- We are built on better business practices and committed to having a positive impact on people and the planet. Learn more here.
- The best part of Uncommon Goods is us—our team. We've been around for over 20 years because of all the wonderful people who make UG the one-of-a-kind company it is.
Operations is the heartbeat of our rapid growth during the holiday season. The Ops Intern Team is directly responsible for the setup, smooth execution, and maintenance of the seasonal warehouse team. In other words, your job is to play a significant role in process creation, project management, and people development (“process, projects, people”). This position runs from September/October through December 2020 and may evolve into a permanent role.
Please find a more detailed job description below, but first, a checklist for you:
- I always ask “why” and “how to improve.”
- I love numbers. I make decisions based on data.
- I deliver. Implementing an idea is more important than coming up with one.
- I bring order to chaos and work well under pressure.
- I connect with people with empathy.
- I have a clear definition of “good communication” and can present to large groups.
- And most importantly, I take ownership. I am someone UG can eventually trust to take care of mission-critical projects from start to finish.
This role is the perfect fit for you if you enjoy a broad range of business skills like:
- Facilitating the warehouse onboarding process on-site.
- Reconciling timecards for payroll processing and managing the distribution of pay checks.
- Managing and communicating team member schedules, with great attention to detail.
- Be the first point of contact on-site for warehouse team members to help solve problems and answer questions.
- Analyzing and utilizing metrics for performance management.
- Collaborating with various departments on special projects, as assigned.
- Maintaining constant communication with team members and warehouse management through email, phone, and in-person.
To sum up, we are looking for an ambitious problem solver with a passion for operations. If you welcome the opportunity to be on the ground floor of a large e-commerce organization with a talented team of kind hearts and a big vision for the world of sustainable and positive business practices, please email us a brief cover letter and resume at: mbeach(at)uncommongoods.com as well as through the link below. The cover letter should be about an event or program you organized from start to finish and the skills you gained from it.
Experience & Qualifications:
- High school diploma or GED equivalency required.
- Experience with heavy calendar management preferred.
- Intermediate computer skills (Microsoft Excel) preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Open availability, including weekends.
- Proficient in Outlook and work messaging tools (Slack) preferred.
- Casual work atmosphere, fun company events. (Thanks to our team's creativity, we've devised ways to feel connected remotely, too, and it's still fun.)
- On-site work bonuses.
- 40% discount on our products.
- Professional development/educational reimbursement.
- Safe working environment. Many of our COVID-19 protocols exceed NYC and NYS safety standards. Those who can are working remotely. In our office and warehouse, COVID-19 testing is required of all new hires and monthly for all team members; PPE, including masks and gloves, is required for all team members; and workspaces provide recommended social distancing.
Up for the challenge? Apply now at www.uncommongoods.com/careers with your resume and brief cover letter telling us about an event or program you organized from start to finish and the skills you gained from it.