Do you love data and want to learn how to use it in a fast-paced environment?
As an Operations Data Analyst Intern, you will be working with our warehouse team to build tools and dashboards to monitor data needed to help manage our daily operation. Data requests will also come from other areas in the company such as Customer Service, Drop Ship, Analytics, Purchasing, and other departments. Most requests will be delivered in the form of Excel tools, Tableau dashboards, SQL queries, and reports that are accessible through our intranet system.
In addition to delivering data to the appropriate departments, you will also be monitoring and analyzing data to provide recommendations to the management team in operations on how to improve metrics like warehouse quality, transportation shipping method selections, cycle time to ship orders, and more. The managers will work with you to find solutions around processes, packaging, or system changes.
It is preferred that you have experience in Operations/Logistics, but it is not necessary. The first week or two of training may consist of time on the warehouse floor, learning all areas of the operation (vital knowledge for data analysis). This is a data-heavy role, so experience with SQL, Tableau, Excel, or other data platforms is preferred. This is a seasonal position.
- Uncommon Goods offers an ever-changing assortment of original, creative gifts. We partner with independent makers and small businesses to offer our customers an assortment of items that they love to surprise loved ones with (and treat themselves, too)!
- We are built on better business practices and committed to having a positive impact on people and the planet. Learn more here.
- The best part of Uncommon Goods is us—our team. We've been around for over 20 years because of all the wonderful people who make UG the one-of-a-kind company it is.
Reporting and data
- Maintain reports that are currently in use in the operation
- Build new reports and queries as needed
- Streamline and improve reporting
- Run and distribute reports for weekly quality metrics for the operation
- Work with managers in operations to improvement processes to improve quality
- Do weekly deep dives on quality data to provide insights to operations management and other departments
Collaborate with other departments
- Merchandising/Buying – Become familiar with the buying and onboarding processes to better understand upstream solutions
- Customer Service – Ensure quality information is being communicated regularly between the warehouse and customer service
- Intermediate to strong proficiency in Excel
- Proficient in Outlook, Word, and PowerPoint
- Able to handle several projects at once, balancing priority and urgency
- Strong analytical skills and business acumen, including the ability to analyze complex data, extrapolate it to the big picture and present clear and concise information
- Able to communicate ideas and data effectively to managers in multiple departments
- Ability to identify problems or trends and create applicable solutions
- Customer-focused in urgency and thoroughness while correcting quality issues
- Fast learner, especially when learning new systems
- We are only accepting applications from people located in New York State.
- Associate's degree or higher
- Operations experience (supervisor level or higher preferred)
- Proficient in SQL
- Proficient in Tableau
- Proficient in VBA
- Casual work atmosphere, fun company events. (Thanks to our team's creativity, we've devised ways to feel connected remotely, too, and it's still fun.)
- 40% discount on our products.
- Professional development/educational reimbursement.
- Safe working environment. Many of our COVID-19 protocols exceed NYC and NYS safety standards. Those who can are working remotely. In our office and warehouse, COVID-19 testing is required of all new hires and monthly for all team members; PPE, including masks and gloves, is required for all team members; and workspaces provide recommended social distancing.