Location: Geldermalsen, Utrecht, Remote (max 40%)
Employment: Full time (no Contractors)
Ultimaker is looking for a senior Interaction designer to improve the Ultimaker platform consisting of 3D printers and software to support the full 3D Printing workflow of our customers.
Are you up for the challenge? Then, keep reading.
What will you be doing?
In your role as Interaction designer you will focus on how our customers interact with our 3D printers, ranging from physical interactions such as printer material handling to controlling the printer using the touchscreen display interface. Within the UX team you are the expert on hardware interactions and know how to connect to Ultimaker’s digital products such as the Ultimaker Digital Factory and Ultimaker Cura.
Together with your UX colleagues you will be overseeing the end-to-end 3D printing user experience from unboxing and printer installation to supporting customers in developing better 3D printing applications and scaling up the amount of 3D printing. Your work will ensure a seamless transition between hardware and software interactions for an optimal user workflow.
Within the research and development department you will be the main contact person regarding the user experience of our 3D printers. You will work with stakeholders to translate customer needs into design solutions and collaborate with product development teams to make continuous improvements to our existing portfolio of 3D printers.
Together with other UX designers you will build prototypes to conduct user research to discover customer needs while validating design concepts and define the User experience of the next generation of Ultimaker 3D printers.
What will your day look like?
You are actively working on design concepts and refining these with the product development teams. Together with projects leaders you will make sure all product backlog items have UX designs attached and are ready to be picked up. You will join regular product team meetings and get feedback from stakeholders.
As a part of the UX design team, you will also take part in daily UX stand-ups and weekly design review meetings. You will work in close collaboration with our UX designers to give feedback and ensure the designs for the complete Ultimaker solution are aligned and we create a great end-2-end experience for our users.
What challenges lay ahead?
- We want to deliver the best solutions in the market. To achieve this, we need to provide useful and delightful product experiences.
- Ultimaker aims to make the complicated 3D printing process more accessible. We need you to transform technical solutions to user-friendly designs for our customers.
- We want to offer our customers a seamless end-to-end 3D printing experience.
- Work in close collaboration with the software and hardware teams to define the requirements of the next line of Ultimaker products and actively validate requirements and potential solutions with our Customers.
Do you fit this profile?
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in interaction design with technical products and systems
- Able to articulate the rationale behind your designs to non-designers
- Excellent communication and presentation skills (in English)
- Prototyping skills to communicate every detail of your design delivery.
- Open to others’ ideas and not afraid of being challenged
- Understand that design is a team effort
- Take initiative in identifying problems and opportunities to improve our products.
Definitely a plus
- Knowledge or interest in the (additive) manufacturing industry and or 3D printing field.
- Having a passion for digital design and connected products.
The benefits of working with us
- A competitive salary in line with your experience
- Ultimaker makes contributions to your pension
- We pay for your daily commute based on public transport
- 27 days of paid leave per year
- An open, family atmosphere, and fun work environment
- Lunch with healthy sandwiches, salads, and a daily special
- A convenient location within walking distance of public transport and near the highway
- Room to expand your knowledge by following courses and going to meetups
- When thing settle in to normal after the Covid-19 pandemic, the software teams will work 60% from the office and 40% from home
Ultimaker has been in operation since 2011, and over the years has grown to become a market leader, creating powerful, professional and accessible desktop 3D printers. With offices in the Netherlands, New York, Boston, and Singapore, plus production facilities in both Europe and the US, Ultimaker’s team of more than 400 employees continually strives to accelerate the world’s transition to local digital manufacturing by offering the highest-quality 3D printers, software, and materials on the market.
We offer you the chance to become a part of a young, fast-growing, technically advanced company. We are focused on further developing the Ultimaker, developing the world of 3D printing, and further expanding the skills of our people.
We are ordinary people with extraordinary plans. Creating high-quality products is our driver. Our passion and creativity help us to make the unbelievable believable. Together we make one hell of a team.
Interested in working for us? Please apply now by sending your motivation letter & résumé in English.
Agency calls will not be appreciated.