At Udelv we are creating a new type of driverless delivery vehicle. We are first-movers in the autonomous delivery sector and were first to complete a commercial last mile autonomous delivery on public streets. Udelv is using advanced transportation and autonomous driving technologies to revolutionize this segment of transportation. Udelv recently announced a historic partnership with Mobileye, an Intel company, to use Mobileye’s autonomous driver on Udelv’s next-generation vehicle, the Transporter. Udelv also announced the largest pre-order to date in the autonomous vehicle industry with a 1,000 Transporter pre-order from Donlen, one of America’s largest commercial fleet management company.
Udelv’s mission is to reinvent and become the dominant player of the fast growing trillion dollar global delivery market by reducing delivery costs up to 50%, lowering carbon emissions and making our roads safer and less congested.
As Lead Mechanical Engineer, you will conceive, design, prototype, analyze, iterate and deploy mechanical systems for Udelv’s autonomous delivery vehicle. The role requires cross-functional collaboration with internal teams or external partners like Industrial Design, Electrical Engineering, Autonomous Driving - Perception, Localization & Motion Planning, Teleoperation, Marketing, Project Management, Manufacturing, Supply Chain, and more. You will have a uniquely rewarding opportunity to lead products that empower the autonomous last-mile delivery, such as Drive By Wire system, Autonomous Sensors mount and calibration system, server & electronic components housing, smart cargo space with merchants and customers friendly mechanism interfaces, etc.
- Performing user study, benchmarking, exploration of design space, specification, concept design and craft critical experience prototypes for autonomous custom-made delivery vehicle's cargo space;
- Exploring design requirements for Drive by Wire system with Autonomous Driving team - motion planning; Leading design, prototype, analyze, iterate and validate critical subsystems;
- Exploring design requirements for Autonomous Driving Sensors mounting system. Providing Field of View simulation of sensors in 3D environment; Leading design, prototype, analyze, iterate, validate and build sensors mounting system;
- Creating and Maintain Bill of Material (BOM), 2D Drawings, Request for Quote (RFQ) and working closely with the supply chain team to source parts for all mechanical systems;
- Collaborating with industrial design and marketing team build and source examples to determine aesthetic subject such as color, decal and car mark of vehicle;
- Performing other duties as necessary for completion of projects and achievement of goals;
- All other duties as assigned;
MS or PhD degree in ME/Robotics or equivalent with focus on autonomous driving or Design Methodology
- 3+ years of hands-on, Mechanical and/or vehicle engineering experience
- Experience working in small teams of engineers (1-8 people) in a dynamic professional or academic environment
- Proficiency in 3D CAD (Solidworks, Autodesk Inventor, Rhinoceros 2)
- Basic GD&T knowledge and experience releasing 2D drawings
- Proficiency in performing tolerance analyses
- Working knowledge of FEA principles
- Practical experience working through DFM challenges with external vendors
- Wide knowledge of basic engineering materials and manufacturing processes
- Creative problem solving, with experience in failure analysis, root cause investigation, and DOE creation
- Experience designing for weight reduction
- Hands on Experience in prototype and low volume production: CNC, laser cut, 3D printing(PDM, SLA and SLS), urethane casting, sheet metal, welding etc
- Knowledge of Design Methodology, product experience from concept to production