At Udelv we are creating a new type of driverless delivery vehicle. We are first-movers in the autonomous delivery sector and were first to complete a commercial last mile autonomous delivery on public streets. Udelv is using advanced transportation and autonomous driving technologies to revolutionize this segment of transportation. Udelv recently announced a historic partnership with Mobileye, an Intel company, to use Mobileye’s autonomous driver on Udelv’s next-generation vehicle, the Transporter. Udelv also announced the largest pre-order to date in the autonomous vehicle industry with a 1,000 Transporter pre-order from Donlen, one of America’s largest commercial fleet management company.
Udelv’s mission is to reinvent and become the dominant player of the fast growing trillion dollar global delivery market by reducing delivery costs up to 50%, lowering carbon emissions and making our roads safer and less congested.
As Senior Mechanical Engineer - Mechanisms, you will design, prototype, analyze, iterate and release to production mechanical systems for Udelv’s autonomous delivery vehicle. The role requires cross-functional collaboration with internal teams or external partners like Industrial Design, Electrical Engineering, Autonomy, Teleoperations, Project Management, Manufacturing, Supply Chain, and more. You will have a uniquely rewarding opportunity to help build products that empower autonomous last-mile delivery, such as cargo robotics, sensors and calibration systems, server & electronic components housings, smart cargo space with user friendly mechanisms and interfaces, etc.
- Design complex mechatronic assemblies critical to end user experience such as articulating tambour doors, reconfigurable smart shelving units and heavy-duty transfer mechanisms (2000 Kg capacity).
- Determine and document mechanism motion and power requirements. Create specifications for drive system components such as motors, shafts & gears.
- Verification of component, subsystem and system performance through construction of proof-of-concept, test buck and pre-production units.
- Collaborate with controls & software teams to define requirements for end-to-end testing and validation.
- Create and maintain Bill of Material (BOM), 2D Drawings, Request for Quote (RFQ) and working closely with the supply chain team to source parts for all mechanical systems.
- All other duties as assigned.
BS or MS degree in Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics, Robotics or equivalent with focus on autonomous manufacturing, robotics and autonomous vehicles.
- 5+ years of hands-on, mechanical and/or electromechanical engineering experience.
- Experience working in small teams of engineers (1-8 people) in a dynamic professional or academic environment.
- Proficiency in 3D CAD (SolidWorks).
- Basic GD&T knowledge and experience releasing 2D drawings to production.
- Proficiency in performing tolerance stack analyses.
- Working knowledge of FEA.
- Practical experience working through DFM challenges with external vendors.
- Wide knowledge of engineering materials, assembly and manufacturing processes.
- Creative problem solving, with experience in failure analysis, root cause investigation, and DOE creation.
- Hands on Experience in prototype and low volume production: CNC, laser cut, 3D printing (PDM, SLA and SLS), urethane casting, sheet metal, welding etc.
- Experience developing products from concept to production.