At Udelv we are creating a new type of driverless delivery vehicle. We are first-movers in the autonomous delivery sector and were first to complete a commercial last mile autonomous delivery on public streets. Udelv is using advanced transportation and autonomous driving technologies to revolutionize this segment of transportation. Udelv recently announced a historic partnership with Mobileye, an Intel company, to use Mobileye’s autonomous driver on Udelv’s next-generation vehicle, the Transporter. Udelv also announced the largest pre-order to date in the autonomous vehicle industry with a 1,000 Transporter pre-order from Donlen, one of America’s largest commercial fleet management company.
Udelv’s mission is to reinvent and become the dominant player of the fast growing trillion dollar global delivery market by reducing delivery costs up to 50%, lowering carbon emissions and making our roads safer and less congested.
As Mechanical Engineer - Structures, you will design, prototype, analyze, iterate and release to production mechanical systems for Udelv’s autonomous delivery vehicle. The role requires cross-functional collaboration with internal teams or external partners like Industrial Design, Electrical Engineering, Autonomous Driving, Teleoperations, Project Management, Manufacturing, Supply Chain, and more. You will have a uniquely rewarding opportunity to help build products that empower autonomous last-mile delivery, such as cargo robotics, sensors and calibration systems, ECU & electronic components, smart cargo space with user friendly mechanisms and interfaces.
- Design, analyze and integrate pod internal structures (BIW) with electromechanical iris, sealing, exteriors, electronics and vehicle interfaces.
- Work closely with mechanism and electrical and controls engineers to integrate structures with mechatronic iris, skins, harness, sensors or antennas and to document key subsystem interfaces
- Create and refine comprehensive structural analysis models. Provide engineered solutions to yield, buckling, deformation, vibration and fatigue failure modes.
- Verify engineering analysis through direct measurement or working with external vendors.
- Create and maintain Bill of Material (BOM), 2D Drawings, Request for Quote (RFQ) history and work closely with the supply chain team to source parts for structural systems.
- All other duties as assigned.
BS or MS degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent with focus on automotive or aerospace structure design, analysis and manufacturing.
- 5+ years of hands-on, mechanical and/or vehicle engineering experience including internships.
- Experience working in small teams of engineers (1-8 people) in a dynamic professional environment
- Proficiency in 3D CAD (SolidWorks).
- Proficiency with structural (linear & non-linear), modal and dynamic finite element analysis (SolidWorks / Cosmos preferred).
- Knowledge of engineering materials, assembly, and manufacturing processes applicable to low, medium, and high-volume structure fabrication.
- Designing for weight and cost.
- Proficiency applying GD&T (Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing) and experience releasing 2D drawings to production vendors.
- Proficiency in performing tolerance stack analyses.
- Knowledge of prototype and low volume production applicable to light-weight vehicle structure fabrication like sheet metal, extrusion, and machining.
- Experience taking products from concept to production.
- This is an onsite hands-on position involving team collaboration based out of our HQ in Burlingame, CA