Mentor Operations at Udacity
Ensuring students receive great technical support from our mentors is crucial to Udacity’s success. As the team tasked with designing, delivering, and improving mentor-focused initiatives, Mentor Operations is responsible for mentor sourcing and onboarding, performance, payments, support, and engagement. We are a global team with staff in the US, the Middle East, and India.
Program Experience Managers
Combining technical expertise and general familiarity with Udacity content, Program Experience Managers (PEMs) play a vital role on the Mentor Ops team. At a high level, each PEM is responsible for managing mentor performance across a “school” of Nanodegrees, while leading or contributing to technical initiatives to drive quality improvements for mentors in all programs. PEMs serve as a vital link that ensures consistently strong mentor quality even as Udacity adds 15+ Nanodegree programs and tens of thousands of new learners each year
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Evaluating New Mentor Technical Strength: assess the technical skills of new mentors and provide guidance to ensure they provide superlative student support to students from the get go. In addition, you’ll design and run processes to monitor and improve mentor performance for new Nanodegree programs.
- Improving Mentor Quality: through a combination of audits, data analysis, technical certification exercises, and more, you’ll review existing mentor performance, provide input on their relative performance, and establish clear technical standards for mentors in a specific Nanodegree program.
- Mentor Engagement: as the team member responsible for a “school” of Nanodegree programs (e.g. “School of Programming and Development”), you’ll develop strong relationships with top performing mentors in your school and harness their insight to improve Nanodegree projects, instructions, and more.
- Content and Project Feedback: you’ll act as an interlocutor between our Content team, students, and mentors using their feedback and suggestions to improve projects, starter code, content, and more.
- Student Support: at times you’ll be tasked with providing direct technical assistance to Udacity learners who may be struggling to advance through their program and who need additional support. In addition, you’ll review instances of suspected student plagiarism and decide on the proper recourse given Udacity’s honor code policies.
- New Initiatives and New Mentorship: you’ll work closely with the rest of the Mentor Operations, Student Services, Product, Engineering, and Content teams to pilot new forms of mentorship for enterprise customers, scholarship students, and more.
What are we looking for:
- An eagerness to combine a strong knowledge of programming languages with experience designing, launching, and managing operational processes at scale.
- Highly comfortable with Microsoft Excel and strong ability to collect, analyze, and report on data.
- Experience writing clear and concise emails and other communications for diverse and widespread audiences and engaging with global communities through multiple platforms, such as Slack, and more.
- Proven experience of prioritizing and multitasking multiple urgent deliverables.
- Strong Problem-solving skills
- Good at researching and troubleshooting technical issues
- Empathetic and a great mentor
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to meet deadlines
- Driven by data to constantly iterate and improve
- An excellent communicator who excels in listening, writing, and responding professionally
- A team player
Udacity's mission is to train the world’s workforce in the careers of the future. We partner with leading companies to learn how technology is transforming industries, then teach the critical tech skills that individuals need for new and better jobs, and companies are looking for in their workforce. With Nanodegree programs ranging from AI and Azure to Data Science, Robotic Process Automation, and Cybersecurity, our online training platform helps even the busiest learners prepare themselves for the most in-demand tech roles.
Udacity's unique learning model of real-world projects and experts and mentors available 24/7 enables an unprecedented degree of engagement with our students, and we are with them through every step of their learning journey—from the first moment a marketing team member might answer a question, to the penultimate moment when a career team member receives word that a graduate has gotten a new job. Always putting Students First guides us as we continue our mission to bring the highest quality learning possible, to as many learners as we can possibly reach.
Udacity is committed to creating economic empowerment and a more diverse and equitable world. We have partnered with AT&T, Google, Lyft, Microsoft, Accenture and more to provide over 22,000 scholarships this year to those from communities under-represented in tech.