Udacity's mission is to train the world’s workforce in the careers of the future. We partner with leading companies to learn how technology is transforming industries, then teach the critical tech skills that individuals need for new and better jobs, and companies are looking for in their workforce. With Nanodegree programs ranging from AI and Azure to Data Science, Robotic Process Automation, and Cybersecurity, our online training platform helps even the busiest learners prepare themselves for the most in-demand tech roles.
Udacity's unique learning model of real-world projects and experts and mentors available 24/7 enables an unprecedented degree of engagement with our students, and we are with them through every step of their learning journey—from the first moment a marketing team member might answer a question, to the penultimate moment when a career team member receives word that a graduate has gotten a new job. Always putting Students First guides us as we continue our mission to bring the highest quality learning possible, to as many learners as we can possibly reach.
Data Driven is a Udacity core value. Udacity Data Engineering Team is looking for a Senior Software Engineer to help us to design and develop Udacity’s company-wide data solutions in support of that value. The ideal candidate will be comfortable talking to data analysts, data scientists and business stakeholders, understand the data that powers their products, generalize it and implement common fact tables across the company.
This is a high-impact opportunity and you’ll be a critical part of a global Data Team of highly talented Software Engineers, Data Analysts and Data Scientists based primarily in the SF Bay Area and India. The system you will be working on consists of a cloud-based data lake and is built completely on AWS using technologies such as Apache Spark, Airflow, Postgres and Redshift.
About Udacity Data Engineering
- We prioritize the quality and trustworthiness of the data
- We embrace common and proven software engineering practices to achieve quality while maximizing the productivity
- We promote collective and shared ownership of our technical assets
- We value the flexibility needed in working in a global environment while balance and minimize non-work hour involvement in all locations
How You Can Help
- Providing technical leadership in the Data Engineering team across the globe
- Designing and developing infrastructure and tools for our data system
- Work with analysts to generalize the data points behind their work to form multi-dimensional data stores
- Working with with data scientists to enable them with infrastructure and data and directly serve Udacity’s system with outcome from ML algorithms
- Working with BI manager and business users to support implementations of data governance models
- Building out cloud-based data solutions with strong focus on accuracy and reliability using technologies such as Spark and Airflow on AWS
- Working with stakeholders from other departments and successfully translating their requirements to engineering solutions
- Being a champion and thought leader of effective agile software development practice and producing high quality readable code in such a setting
What We Need From You
- BS or MS in Computer Science, MIS or related degrees
- 6+ years of experience working in the software industry, with at least 3 of which in data engineering
- Solid understanding and experience practicing Agile software development methodologies such as test driven development
- Good understanding in the principles of building robust data processing pipeline and track record of putting them in practice
- Proven ability to trace, identify and resolve issue in data, infrastructure and code
- Hands-on experience working with Apache Spark, AWS and relational databases
- Proficiency in Scala, Python and SQL
- Experience with microservice architecture, Go, and node.js is a strong plus
- Experience of working with distributed global teams is a strong plus
#dataengineer #dataengineering #data #udacity
Udacity is committed to creating economic empowerment and a more diverse and equitable world. We have partnered with AT&T, Google, Lyft, Microsoft, Accenture and more to provide over 22,000 scholarships this year to those from communities under-represented in tech.