Udacity's mission is to train the world’s workforce in the careers of the future. We partner with leading companies to learn how technology is transforming industries, then teach the critical tech skills that individuals need for new and better jobs, and companies are looking for in their workforce. With Nanodegree programs ranging from AI and Azure to Data Science, Robotic Process Automation, and Cybersecurity, our online training platform helps even the busiest learners prepare themselves for the most in-demand tech roles. Udacity's unique learning model of real-world projects and experts and mentors available 24/7 enables an unprecedented degree of engagement with our students, and we are with them through every step of their learning journey—from the first moment a marketing team member might answer a question on Facebook, to the penultimate moment when a career team member receives word that a graduate has gotten a new job. Always putting Students First guides us as we continue our mission to bring the highest quality learning possible, to as many learners as we can possibly reach.
The Product Infrastructure team owns and operates core services that power the Udacity site. The APIs behind Sign Up / Sign In, User Experiments, and Sessions, as well as enabling and evangelizing Kafka usage, are among the important components this team owns. Some of these APIs operate at the 1000s of requests per minute scale.
Udacity is built on a microservices pattern, so reliable service-to-service APIs are important for application stability and developer productivity. Udacity follows a DevOps school of thought: engineers should always be automating, they are on-call for their systems, and they practice iterative improvement.
Most of our back-end services are written in Go and most of our front-end applications are written in TypeScript using the React framework, but we are a multilingual shop and expect developers to be comfortable operating in an environment with multiple languages and computing environments.
- Design, build and maintain new and existing infrastructure services which form the core building blocks for product engineers to use.
- Collaborate with product engineers across the company to identify and build new solutions to cross-cutting problems.
- Own multiple projects and prioritize effectively to build new features and scale up existing ones.
- Encourage adoption of the team’s solutions throughout the engineering organization via collaboration, tech talks and continuous improvement through customer (engineer) feedback.
- Participate in on-call rotations for production incidents.
- A minimum of 5 years experience developing software running in production environments.
- Demonstrated expertise in designing, building, delivering, and maintaining reliable and performant microservices.
- Strong programming fundamentals demonstrable in Go, Ruby, Python or a similar language.
- Experience with relational databases, Postgres preferred.
- Experience supporting a production service that others depend on.
What We Value:
- A relentless focus on building the best possible experience for our users and a data driven attitude to achieving it.
- Passion for working as part of a team - you love connecting and collaborating with others.
- Honest, transparent communication and openness to fresh perspectives.
- Relishes being the go-to engineer for systems on which other products run.
- Enjoys finding simple, actionable improvements to larger systems.
- Continuously learning new tools and techniques.
Consider applying if your experience is close to what we described above. We look for people with exceptional potential, as we know highest performing teams include people of diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and life experiences
Udacity is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We believe that the unique contributions of all Udacians is the driver of our success. To ensure that our products and culture continue to incorporate everyone's perspectives and experience we never discriminate on the basis of regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Udacity is committed to creating economic empowerment and a more diverse and equitable world. We have partnered with AT&T, Google, Lyft, Microsoft, Accenture and more to provide over 22,000 scholarships this year to those from communities under-represented in tech.