The Uber Advanced Technology Center is the Pittsburgh division of the elite Uber Engineering Team; a high-performance culture marked by fearlessness and hyper-productivity. We focus on the development of key long-term technologies that advance Uber’s mission of bringing safe, reliable transportation to everyone, everywhere. Our research is primarily in the areas of mapping, vehicle safety, and autonomy. Our team is comprised of world-renowned researchers with decades of experience and we’re looking for superstar engineers who can work harder, faster, and smarter without sacrificing technical excellence.
Uber Engineering has amassed a veritable treasure trove of technical documentation. We are looking for a Technical Writer with both hardware and software experience to help us expand our documentation set. You will document the core systems that make up Uber’s self-driving cars and trucks.
This is a ground floor opportunity to work on the latest technology and help revolutionize global transportation. Don’t just dream about the future. Make the future.
- Work closely with engineers to produce clear-and-concise technical documentation.
- Properly organize documentation, from the layout of content on a page, to finding its proper place in the entire documentation taxonomy, with search optimization in mind.
- Review, understand, and integrate system-level electrical/mechanical engineering documentation (schematics, specifications, procedures) into Uber documentation.
- Identify user pain points and business needs in order to assess documentation requirements. Documentation efforts could include knowledge base articles, assembly manuals, developer reference guides, policy and procedure manuals, and more. It will be up to you to identify and prioritize documentation needs, and define the scope.
- Implement Uber’s standards and style guidelines in your writing, while helping engineers and development vehicle operators improve the quality of their writing.
- Stay up-to-date on OEM documentation (design, release, bulletins, and product development) and ensure relevant updates are reflected in Uber documentation.
- Work efficiently and build relationships with distributed teams located at Uber ATG offices in Phoenix, Pittsburgh, and San Francisco. Occasional travel to Uber ATG locations is expected and required.
- Demonstrated ability to learn technical concepts quickly. What we’re doing has never been done before, so there’s no playbook for it. You’ll be writing the playbook.
- Experience writing for web, software, hardware, or cloud technologies. A variety of work is better than a singular focus.
- Experience using a version control system like Git.
- Experience creating API documentation or code examples. You don’t need to be a programmer, but you should be comfortable working with code.
- Comfortable working in a non-office environment. Some of your work will be done at a desk. Some of it will be done in a garage. Going hands-on is a requirement.
- Experience working with cars or trucks is a bonus. If you’ve modified your ride, or tweaked your ECU to eke out more HP, you’re ahead of the game.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, paid company holidays, and monthly Uber credits.
- Medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it.
We're bringing Uber to every major city in the world. We need brains and passion to make it happen.