The Uber Advanced Technology Center is the Pittsburgh division of the elite Uber Engineering Team; a high-performance culture marked by fearlessness and hyper-productivity. We focus on the development of key long-term technologies that advance Uber’s mission of bringing safe, reliable transportation to everyone, everywhere. Our research is primarily in the areas of mapping, vehicle safety, and autonomy. Our team is comprised of world-renowned researchers with decades of experience and we’re looking for superstar engineers who can work harder, faster, and smarter without sacrificing technical excellence.
As an Uber ATC team member, you'll have a direct impact on the innovation of cutting edge technologies. The work you will do will be tested and deployed on real systems, in real-world conditions. The experience you will gain will be unique and unmatched. Do you dream about improving transit on a global scale using your passion for science and engineering? Then you should apply to join our team. We are ambitious, engaged and excited about transforming the transportation industry across the world. We are moving real assets and real people. Our research will make this process safer and more efficient now and in the decades to come.
Do you enjoy technology? Are you an independent problem solver with a high level of technical curiosity? Are you willing to put in lots of good ideas to help bring new technologies from prototype to production? UATC is hiring highly skilled embedded engineers who have great attention to detail, are experts solving problems, have a deep passion for cars, and will maintain a calm professional attitude under all situations. Travel to various locations will be required.
The embedded engineer works closely with our hardware and electrical engineering teams to design, implement, and test custom real-time embedded systems, with a focus on safety and performance. The embedded engineer is also responsible for providing robust and extensible APIs for downstream consumers, and serving as a support and test point-of-contact.
UATC is seeking embedded engineers with the following attributes:
- Proficient in C code, real-time constraints, and hardware interfaces (e.g. Ethernet, UART, SPI, I2C.)
- Familiarity with RTOS (real-time operating systems.)
- Excellent software engineering habits.
- Familiarity with version control systems such as Subversion and Git.
- Working knowledge of software debugging and profiling tools.
- Solid background in data structures and algorithms.
- Comfortable with both a logic analyzer and a wrench.
- Experience in a regulated, safety critical, or quality managed environment.
- Familiarity with custom board bring-up and testing, including BSP generation.
- Familiarity with sensor interfaces, such as LIDAR, GPS, and RADAR.
- Familiarity with networking protocols, including TCP and UDP.
- Familiarity with development in Linux-based environments, including kernel module development.
- Knowledge of modern automotive technologies (e.g. CAN, Flexray.)
Here are the kinds of skills we're looking for:
- Fast learner. We’re looking for team members who thrive on applying their knowledge, learning new technologies and don’t believe in one-size-fits-all solutions. You should be able to adapt easily to meet the rapid pace of a rapidly evolving research, development, and testing environment.
- Fearlessness. You think a working proof-of-concept is the best way to make a point. You strive on proving that speed and quality are not conflicting; that you can achieve both at the same time.
- Versatility. In addition to having an intimate knowledge of core engineering fields, you understand how all the pieces fit together into integrated systems, and how they impact performance.
- Passion. You feel ownership over everything you ship; you'd never call code or design "released" until you’re confident it’s correct. You pride yourself on efficient monitoring, strong documentation, and proper test coverage.
- A team player. You believe that you can achieve more on a team — that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. You rely on others' candid feedback for continuous improvement.
- Design and business acumen. You understand requirements beyond the written word and how your technical contributions will influence the viability of future products. Whether you’re working on a software library used by other developers, a sensor to be retrofitted on a test vehicle, or a printed circuit to be mass produced, the other members of the team can depend on the quality of your work to rapidly advance our goals.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We’re not just another social web app, we’re moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, paid company holidays and Uber credits.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it.
We're bringing Uber to every major city in the world. We need brains and passion to make it happen and to make it happen in style.