Uber ATC is the Pittsburgh R&D hub of Uber’s engineering team dedicated to self-driving technologies, mapping, and vehicle safety. This team is responsible for developing long-term technologies that advance Uber’s mission of bringing safe, reliable transportation to everyone, everywhere. We are ambitious, engaged and excited about transforming the way the world moves. Our research will make the process of moving real assets and real people safer and more efficient now, and in the decades to come.
We are seeking Infrastructure Software Engineers with independent problem solving skills and a high level of technical curiosity. Our organizational challenges are unique, so you should be comfortable in uncharted territory and pumped to build systems that can support cities of 100,000 and 10 million people alike. Do you enjoy field testing? Are you willing to put in lots of energy to help bring new technologies from prototype to production? If so, then keep reading.
Here are the kinds of skills we’re looking for:
- Fast learner. We’re looking for team members who thrive on learning new technologies, who adapt easily, and who don’t believe in one-size-fits-all solutions.
- Fearlessness. You think a working proof-of-concept is the best way to make a point. You strive on proving that speed and quality are not conflicting; that you can achieve both at the same time.
- Versatility. In addition to having an intimate knowledge of the whole software stack, you understand how all the pieces fit together.
- Passion. You feel ownership over everything you ship; you'd never call code "released" until you’re confident it’s correct. You pride yourself on efficient monitoring, strong documentation, and proper test coverage.
- A team player. You believe that you can achieve more on a team — that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. You rely on others' candid feedback for continuous improvement.
- Design and business acumen. You understand requirements beyond the written word and how your technical contributions will influence the viability of future products. Whether you’re working on a software library used by other developers, a sensor to be retrofitted on a test vehicle, or a printed circuit to be mass produced, the other members of the team can depend on the quality of your work to rapidly advance our goals.
Bonus points if you have:
- Strong Linux background - Must have used Linux on a daily basis and be comfortable using it as your primary environment.
- Comfortable with reading and developing production quality software with C++ and Python.
- Familiarity with sensing equipment, such as LIDAR, radar, or cameras.
- Superior skills in triaging, isolating, documenting, and tracking issues systematically.
- Ability to analyze test results and build, use and configure automated reporting systems.
- Experience with ROS and/or ground robotics systems.
- Excellent communication skills especially with diverse groups of team members including technicians, software and hardware engineers, as well as managers and executives.
- Desire to take initiative and provide leadership with composure.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We’re not just another social web app, we’re moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, paid company holidays and Uber credits.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it.
We're bringing Uber to every major city in the world. We need brains and passion to make it happen and to make it happen in style.