The Uber Advanced Technologies Center is the Pittsburgh division of the elite Uber Engineering Team; a high-performance culture marked by fearlessness and hyper-productivity. We focus on the development of key long-term technologies that advance Uber’s mission of bringing safe, reliable transportation to everyone, everywhere. Our research is primarily in the areas of mapping, vehicle safety, and autonomy. Our team is comprised of world-renowned researchers with decades of experience and we’re looking for superstar engineers who can work harder, faster, and smarter without sacrificing technical excellence.
As an Uber ATC team member, you'll have a direct impact on the innovation of cutting edge technologies. The work you will do will be tested and deployed on real systems, in real-world conditions. The experience you will gain will be unique and unmatched. Do you dream about changing the world using your passion for science and engineering? Then you should apply to join our team. We are ambitious, engaged and excited about disrupting the transportation industry across the world. We are moving real assets and real people. Our research will make this process safer and more efficient now and in the decades to come.
UATC is seeking a Functional Safety Tech Lead with prior experience:
- Building novel safety cases for complex cyber-physical systems
- Leading engineering teams to understand system safety concepts and implement these concepts in hardware and software designs
- Balancing residual risk with business imperatives for forward progress and making/defending smart judgements
- Pushing for appropriate and efficient reviews and documentation in service of a safer system, not just to check the box of compliance
- Adapting traditional standard safety processes to unique new technology applications, e.g.,
- Self-driving vehicles, highly automated driving, ADAS
- Unmanned aerial vehicles, drones
- Wearables, biomechatronics
- Working with automotive and functional safety standards such as AUTOSAR and ISO 26262
- Ideally will also have experience in another industry (e.g., aerospace, defense, medical) and exposure to standards/principles such as IEC 61508, DO-178, STPA, ALARA
Successful candidates will:
- Have a track record of influencing and driving well-crafted safety processes, not just implementing according to standard procedures
- Be deeply knowledgeable about safety critical system design and validation, statistical analysis, fail-operational system architectures, partitioned systems with critical and non-critical content, and high assurance operating systems (e.g., QNX, INTEGRITY, VxWorks, etc.)
- Have a proven ability to move fast, blaze a trail where regulation does not currently exist
- Be comfortable in non-traditional environments -- will be highly beneficial to have worked with startups, in an Agile development process, or in a fast-paced skunkworks division
- Have demonstrated experience working on large software systems
HERE ARE THE KINDS OF SKILLS WE'RE LOOKING FOR:
- Fast learner. We’re looking for team members who thrive on learning new technologies, who adapt easily, and who don’t believe in one-size-fits-all solutions.
- Versatility. In addition to having an intimate knowledge of the whole software stack, you understand how all the pieces fit together.
- Fearlessness. You think a working proof-of-concept is the best way to make a point. You strive on proving that speed and quality are not conflicting; that you can achieve both at the same time.
- Passion. You feel ownership over everything you ship; you'd never call code "released" until you’re confident it’s correct. You pride yourself on efficient monitoring, strong documentation, and proper test coverage.
- A team player. You believe that you can achieve more on a team — that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. You rely on others' candid feedback for continuous improvement.
Design and business acumen. You understand requirements beyond the written word and how your technical contributions will influence the viability of future products. Whether you’re working on a software library used by other developers, a sensor to be retrofitted on a test vehicle, or a printed circuit to be mass produced, the other members of the team can depend on the quality of your work to rapidly advance our goals.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We’re not just another social web app, we’re moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, paid company holidays and Uber credits.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it.
We're bringing Uber to every major city in the world. We need brains and passion to make it happen and to make it happen in style.