The Uber Advanced Technologies Center is the Pittsburgh division of the elite Uber Engineering Team; a high-performance culture marked by fearlessness and hyper-productivity. We focus on the development of key technologies within the areas of mapping, vehicle safety, and autonomy technologies that advance Uber’s mission of bringing safe, reliable transportation to everyone, everywhere. We are currently looking for talented and driven Business Applications Developers to join our team.
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR:
The perfect candidate is passionate about building business applications to accommodate rapidly evolving cutting edge products/services, and using the best of modern web development, distributed computing/storage and scalable yet flexible architectures to build them. You have created software that can scale and manage the complex interchange of data and compute requirements between multiple geographical locations, as well as legacy software systems, which leverage best in class commercial applications where possible.
You like creating software that is robust to various kinds of network, system and state failures, without compromising the data and business applications that use it. You love tuning your software and porting software to different architectures. You love taking advantage of worthwhile open source build/release/test toolchains and are comfortable with multiple languages. You like to optimize your software to run with extremely light footprint, on mission critical systems, without compromising the core functionality of the systems. Moreover, you have a good business sense for the purpose of the applications and can translate user requirements and business analysis into code quickly.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Participate in the design and development of custom business applications that accommodate UBER’s Advanced Technologies Group and operations supporting self-driving cars.
- Become thoroughly familiar with interfaces between systems and work with the team to manage the broader data model that comprises the data universe of the organization from technology development, through production, to operations spanning the product lifecycle.
- We’re looking for software engineers who thrive on learning new technologies and don’t believe in one-size-fits-all solutions. You should be able to adapt easily to meet the needs of our massive growth and rapidly evolving business environment.
- You think a working proof-of-concept is the best way to make a point. You strive on proving that speed and quality are not conflicting; that you can achieve both at the same time.
- In addition to having an intimate knowledge of the whole web stack, you understand how all the pieces fit together (front-end, database, network layer, etc.) and how they impact the performance of your application.
- You feel ownership over everything you ship; you'd never call code "released" until you’re confident it’s correct. You pride yourself on efficient monitoring, strong documentation, and proper test coverage.
- You understand requirements beyond the written word. Whether you’re working on an API used by other developers, an internal tool consumed by our operation teams, or a feature used by millions of riders, your attention to details leads to a delightful user experience.
BONUS POINTS IF YOU HAVE:
- If you happen to have skills in the following areas, we can use these as well: Docker, AWS, ECMAScript, Flask, Redis, relational or NoSQL databases
- Strong knowledge of Oracle table structures, API's, Schemas, Oracle open interfaces
- Knowledge of accounting and finance principles generally, what is a COA, P&L statement and balance sheet, and how business applications interface to a GL back-end and other systems.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We’re not just another social web app, we’re moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, paid company holidays and Uber credits.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it.
We're bringing Uber to every major city in the world. We need brains and passion to make it happen and to make it happen in style.