Uber Advanced Technologies Group (ATG) is the R&D hub of Uber’s engineering team dedicated to self-driving technologies, mapping, and vehicle safety. This team is responsible for developing long-term technologies that advance Uber’s mission of bringing safe, reliable transportation to everyone, everywhere. We are ambitious, engaged and excited about transforming the way the world moves. Our research will make the process of moving real assets and real people safer and more efficient now, and in the decades to come.
Do you dream about changing the world using your passion for science and engineering? Then you should apply to join our engineering team tackling Machine Learning challenges in the area of self-driving technology. The work you do at the ATG will be tested and deployed on real systems, in real-world conditions. The experience you gain as a member of the ATG team will be unique and exciting, we can promise you that!
Machine learning areas of special interest include:
- Active learning and Bayesian optimization
- Anomaly detection
- Deep networks
- Distributed/parallel learning algorithms
- Image/video classification
- Learning control
- Predictive modeling
Additional requirements for this position include:
- A degree in a machine learning related discipline -- positions are available at the PhD, MS, and BS levels
- A strong quantitative background
- Excellent software development skills in one or more of C++, Python, C, Java, Matlab
- Knowledge of machine learning commensurate with education/experience level
- Excellent presentation and communication skills
Here are the kinds of skills we're looking for:
- Fast learner. We’re looking for team members who thrive on applying their knowledge, learning new technologies and don’t believe in one-size-fits-all solutions. You should be able to adapt easily to meet the rapid pace of a rapidly evolving research, development, and testing environment.
- Fearlessness. You think a working proof-of-concept is the best way to make a point. You strive on proving that speed and quality are not conflicting; that you can achieve both at the same time.
- Versatility. In addition to having an intimate knowledge of core engineering fields, you understand how all the pieces fit together into integrated systems, and how they impact performance.
- Passion. You feel ownership over everything you ship; you'd never call code or design "released" until you’re confident it’s correct. You pride yourself on efficient monitoring, strong documentation, and proper test coverage.
- A team player. You believe that you can achieve more on a team — that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. You rely on others' candid feedback for continuous improvement.
- Design and business acumen. You understand requirements beyond the written word and how your technical contributions will influence the viability of future products. Whether you’re working on a software library used by other developers, a sensor to be retrofitted on a test vehicle, or a printed circuit to be mass produced, the other members of the team can depend on the quality of your work to rapidly advance our goals.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We’re not just another social web app, we’re moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, paid company holidays and Uber credits
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it
We're bringing Uber to every major city in the world. We need brains and passion to make it happen and to make it happen in style.