Uber ATC is the Pittsburgh R&D hub of Uber’s engineering team dedicated to self-driving technologies, mapping, and vehicle safety. This team is responsible for developing long-term technologies that advance Uber’s mission of bringing safe, reliable transportation to everyone, everywhere. We are ambitious, engaged and excited about transforming the way the world moves. Our research will make the process of moving real assets and real people safer and more efficient now, and in the decades to come.
Are you an independent problem solver with a high level of technical curiosity? Do you enjoy field testing? Are you willing to put in lots of energy to help bring new technologies from prototype to production?
We’re looking for engineers (2+ years experience) and senior engineers (6+ years experience) with natural product intuition who can work harder, faster, and smarter without sacrificing technical excellence. Our organizational challenges are unique, so you should be comfortable in uncharted territory and pumped to build systems that can support cities of 100,000 and 10 million people alike.
Here is the experience we are looking for:
- Proven ability to quickly develop complex systems with minimal supervision and rapidly implement new features.
- Comfort with developing, debugging and reading production quality software with C++, Python, or other major languages.
- Superior skills in triaging, isolating, documenting, and tracking issues systematically.
- Familiarity with sensing equipment, such as LIDAR, radar, or cameras.
- Strong Linux background - Must have used Linux on a daily basis and be comfortable using it as your primary environment.
- Ability to support fast-paced fieldwork with hands-on robot troubleshooting
- Experience with ROS, robotics systems, or autonomous vehicles a plus.
- Excellent communication skills especially with diverse groups of team members including technicians, software and hardware engineers, as well as managers and executives.
- Desire to take initiative and provide leadership with composure.
Here's what you'll be doing:
- Develop new software components for use aboard the vehicle
- Perform root-cause analysis of problems observed and implement improvements
- Coordinate with integration, hardware, and operations teams to automate debugging and failure detection
- Directly troubleshoot, debug, and resolve software issues aboard autonomous vehicles in the field
- Brainstorm ways to make the autonomous vehicles more robust and propose new systems
- Create tools to automate operations support and keep the fleet running
Here are the kinds of skills we're looking for:
- Fast learner. We’re looking for team members who thrive on learning new technologies, who adapt easily, and who don’t believe in one-size-fits-all solutions.
- Versatility. In addition to having an intimate knowledge of the whole software stack, you understand how all the pieces fit together.
- Fearlessness. You think a working proof-of-concept is the best way to make a point. You strive on proving that speed and quality are not conflicting; that you can achieve both at the same time.
- Passion. You feel ownership over everything you ship; you'd never call code "released" until you’re confident it’s correct. You pride yourself on efficient monitoring, strong documentation, and proper test coverage.
- A team player. You believe that you can achieve more on a team — that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. You rely on others' candid feedback for continuous improvement.
- Design and business acumen. You understand requirements beyond the written word and how your technical contributions will influence the viability of future products. Whether you’re working on a software library used by other developers, a sensor to be retrofitted on a test vehicle, or a printed circuit to be mass produced, the other members of the team can depend on the quality of your work to rapidly advance our goals.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We’re not just another social web app, we’re moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, paid company holidays and Uber credits.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it.
We're bringing Uber to every major city in the world. We need brains and passion to make it happen and to make it happen in style.