The Uber Advanced Technology Center is the Pittsburgh division of the elite Uber Engineering Team; a high-performance culture marked by fearlessness and hyper-productivity. We focus on the development of key long-term technologies that advance Uber’s mission of bringing safe, reliable transportation to everyone, everywhere. Our research is primarily in the areas of mapping, vehicle safety, and autonomy. Our team is comprised of world-renowned researchers with decades of experience and we’re looking for superstar engineers who can work harder, faster, and smarter without sacrificing technical excellence. As an Uber ATC team member, you'll have a direct impact on the innovation of cutting edge technologies. The work you will do will be tested and deployed on real systems, in real-world conditions. The experience you will gain will be unique and unmatched.
For the Motion Planning Engineer role, we’re looking for people who enjoy having their software make critical decisions rather than just “process” or “display” data. Software that literally changes the physical world. It isn’t for the faint of heart: there’s no margin for getting it wrong, no place for “top 10 answer is good enough” or where a 2nd best guess does the job. We need people unafraid of crafting motion planning systems to make great decisions, every time, in all conditions.
To do that, UATC is looking to expand its elite ground vehicle motion planning team. We need engineers at all levels, with specializations in production-quality software development, machine learning, and optimization algorithms, with the following attributes:
- Skilled in numerical optimization techniques (e.g., nonlinear constrained optimization)
- Skilled in machine learning techniques (e.g., classification, regression)
- Experience programming in C++
- Experience with scripting languages (preferably python)
- Proven ability to produce computationally efficient software that can meet real-time requirements
- Prior experience in motion planning or autonomy for real-world applications
Here are the kinds of skills we're looking for:
- Fast learner. We’re looking for team members who thrive on applying their knowledge, learning new technologies and don’t believe in one-size-fits-all solutions. You should be able to adapt easily to meet the rapid pace of a rapidly evolving research, development, and testing environment.
- Fearless. You think a working proof-of-concept is the best way to make a point. You strive on proving that speed and quality are not conflicting; that you can achieve both at the same time.
- Versatile. In addition to having an intimate knowledge of core engineering fields, you understand how all the pieces fit together into integrated systems, and how they impact performance.
- Passionate. You feel ownership over everything you ship; you'd never call code or design "released" until you’re confident it’s correct. You pride yourself on efficient monitoring, strong documentation, and proper test coverage.
- Team player. You believe that you can achieve more on a team — that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. You rely on others' candid feedback for continuous improvement.
- Design acumen. You understand requirements beyond the written word and how your technical contributions will influence the viability of future products. The other members of the team can depend on the quality of your work to rapidly advance our goals.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, paid company holidays and Uber credits.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it.
We're bringing Uber to every major city in the world. We need brains and passion to make it happen and to make it happen in style.