Twitch is the world’s biggest live streaming service, with global communities built around gaming, entertainment, music, sports, cooking, and more. It’s where millions of people come together to chat, interact, and make their own entertainment.
We’re about community, inside and out. You’ll find coworkers who are eager to team up, collaborate, and smash (or elegantly solve) problems together. We’re on a quest to empower live communities, so if this sounds good to you, see what we’re up to on LinkedIn and Twitter, get interviewing tips on Instagram, and discover projects we’re solving on our Blog.
About the Role
Twitch operates the largest dedicated live video CDN in the world, delivering over 25Tbps to more than 5MM concurrent viewers. In addition to serving Twitch traffic our CDN is offered as an AWS service, Amazon Interactive Video Service, enabling the creation of a live video streaming platform with only a few lines of code.
The Video Distribution team manages the software that operates that CDN, which includes everything from custom edge software that delivers video on thousands of hosts worldwide, to the graphing algorithms that manage our worldwide caching hierarchy, and to the complex and introspective algorithms that decide what server a user is assigned when they start playback.
Working with the Video Distribution team, you will use your low-level network protocol development experience to dive deep into next-generation media protocols and optimize the efficiency of Twitch video delivery at the edge. We've already built the lowest latency high-scale HLS distribution system on the planet. You will help us build the next generation of sub-second and real-time product offerings.
As a Senior Software Engineer you will report to the manager of the Video Distribution Edge and Backbone team.
You can be located in San Francisco, CA; Irvine, CA; Seattle, WA; New York, NY; Salt Lake City, UT; or Vancouver, BC. You can also be remote within Canada or the USA.
- Design, implement, and deploy live video CDN edge delivery features using modern protocols like QUIC, WebRTC, and HLS.
- Squeeze every last iota of performance out of Twitch's edge compute by writing performant kernel and network code and investigating further optimizations like TCP offload.
- Validate performance improvements and prevent regression by defining and implementing repeatable automated performance tests.
- Work with client video teams to contribute to the next generation of Twitch by improving edge efficiency, lowering latency, and improving time to video.
- You have implemented QUIC or HTTP/3 at scale across a large bare metal fleet
- Hands-on experience with video protocols like HLS or LL-HLS.
- Hands-on experience with WebRTC.
- 8+ years combined of C++, C, or Rust programming experience related to Linux kernel or network protocols.
- Hands-on experience with Go
- Experience with TCP/IP or UDP performance tuning and congestion control algorithms (e.g. BBR, GSO)
- Medical, Dental, Vision & Disability Insurance
- Maternity & Parental Leave
- Flexible PTO
- Amazon Employee Discount
- Monthly Contribution & Discounts for Wellness Related Activities & Programs (e.g., gym memberships, off-site massages, etc.)
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Twitch. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
The base pay range for this position in Colorado, Connecticut, Washington and New Jersey is $195,840 - $239,360 yr and in New York City is $215,370 - $263,320 yr. Pay is based on market location and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. A sign-on payment and restricted stock units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the position offered. You should apply through Twitch's internal or external careers site.
Workers in New York City who perform in-person work or work with the public in the course of business must show proof they have been fully vaccinated against COVID or request and receive approval for a reasonable accommodation, including medical or religious accommodation.
Twitch values your privacy. Please consult our Candidate Privacy Notice, for information about how we collect, use, and disclose personal information of our candidates.
Job ID: TW7867