Twitch is the world’s biggest live streaming service, with global communities built around gaming, entertainment, music, sports, cooking, and more. It’s where millions of people come together to chat, interact, and make their own entertainment.
We’re about community, inside and out. You’ll find coworkers who are eager to team up, collaborate, and smash (or elegantly solve) problems together. We’re on a quest to empower live communities, so if this sounds good to you, see what we’re up to on LinkedIn and Twitter, get interviewing tips on Instagram, and discover projects we’re solving on our Blog.
About the Role
The Emerging Platforms team develops the TypeScript and React frameworks that power the front-end web experiences of the Twitch mobile web site and our living room applications. Twitch developers are our primary customers, and we are responsible for creating a safe, productive, and enjoyable developer experience for the teams that build exciting features for Twitch users. We support these teams through everything from developing tools and documentation, establishing best practices, and managing the build and release processes.
As a Software Engineering Manager on the Emerging Platforms team, you will report directly to the Director of Engineering for Browser Clients and will share operational, technical, and people management responsibility for the team. Most of the team is based near our offices in San Francisco and Irvine, CA, but we do have many employees working remotely throughout the US. For this role you would ideally work within a short travel distance to one these offices, but working remotely with occasional travel for face-to-face interactions and team building will also be considered.
- Manage and grow at least six engineer direct reports.
- Partner with the director and other engineering leads to guide the mission, vision, and strategy of the team and the technical direction of front-end web development at Twitch.
- Collaborate with teams from across the company on Twitch-wide programs covering security, data governance, accessibility, and other high-impact central tech initiatives.
- Gather feedback from customers to determine important engineering work.
- Share the responsibility of the day-to-day operations of the team, including prioritizing engineering work, running Agile ceremonies, and ensuring progress is made against our roadmap
- 2+ years of work experience as an engineering manager supervising at least 4 engineers.
- Experience running the day-to-day operations of software engineering projects of significant complexity.
- Experience hiring and developing engineers under your supervision.
- Experience gathering feedback from customers to inform engineering prioritization.
- Prior experience developing projects using TypeScript.
- Prior experience working in popular front-end UI frameworks like React.
- Prior experience working in large monorepo projects with many contributors.
- Scrum or other Agile certification.
- Medical, Dental, Vision & Disability Insurance
- Maternity & Parental Leave
- Flexible PTO
- Amazon Employee Discount
- Monthly Contribution & Discounts for Wellness Related Activities & Programs (e.g., gym memberships, off-site massages)
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Twitch. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Twitch values your privacy. Please consult our Candidate Privacy Notice, for information about how we collect, use, and disclose personal information of our candidates.
Job ID: TW7509