Twitch is the world’s biggest live streaming service, with global communities built around gaming, entertainment, music, sports, cooking, and more. It’s where millions of people come together to chat, interact, and make their own entertainment.
We’re about community, inside and out. You’ll find coworkers who are eager to team up, collaborate, and smash (or elegantly solve) problems together. We’re on a quest to empower live communities, so if this sounds good to you, see what we’re up to on LinkedIn and Twitter, get interviewing tips on Instagram, and discover projects we’re solving on our Blog.
About the Role
As a leader in streaming live video on a global scale, averaging 31 million daily viewers with more than 1.3 trillion minutes of live streamed video watched in 2021. The Video Platform team manages end-to-end video streaming for both Twitch and Amazon Interactive Video Service (IVS), a managed live video service built on top of Twitch Video within Amazon Web Services (AWS).
As a Director of Engineering for Video Protocols, you will report to the VP of Video Clients. You will lead the engineering team responsible for the evaluation and adoption of new ingest and delivery video protocols to enable lower latency and higher quality of service streaming. This may require building on and contributing to existing standards or driving new ones.
This position can be located in San Francisco,CA; Irvine, CA; Seattle, WA; New York, NY; and Salt Lake City, UT.
- Set vision and roadmap for the team building Twitch's next-generation video protocols.
- Lead a full stack team to design and implement a framework to validate video protocols.
- Use bleeding-edge web technologies like WebRTC, QUIC, and Warp.
- Collaborate between product and engineering teams (iOS, Android, Web, Transcode, Distribution).
- Drive a testing first mindset within the larger Video organization
- 8+ years of professional software development or equivalent expertise
- 4+ years of leading teams
- Expertise with one or more domains: Networking, Video Playback/Encoding, WebRTC, HLS
- Experience with software architecture fundamentals, such as Async programming, object-oriented design, abstractions, software design, and multiple testing methodologies.
- Experience working with video protocols web media APIs like WebRTC, Media Source Extensions, WHIP, LHLS, LL-LHS, Warp, WebTransport, WebCodecs
- Video Player experience on at least one of the following platforms (Android/iOS/Web)
- Experience with testing-driven culture
- Experience with open source projects
- Contributions to open video standards
- Medical, Dental, Vision & Disability Insurance
- Maternity & Parental Leave
- Flexible PTO
- Amazon Employee Discount
- Monthly Contribution & Discounts for Wellness Related Activities & Programs (e.g., gym memberships, off-site massages, etc.)
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Twitch. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, or other legally protected status.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
The base pay range for this position in Colorado, Connecticut, Washington and New Jersey is $220,100- $297,700 (yr) and in New York City is $242,100 - $327,500 (yr). Pay is based on market location and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. A sign-on payment and restricted stock units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the position offered. Applicants should apply via Twitch's internal or external careers site.
Workers in New York City who perform in-person work or interact with the public in the course of business must show proof they have been fully vaccinated against COVID or request and receive approval for a reasonable accommodation, including medical or religious accommodation.
Twitch values your privacy. Please consult our Candidate Privacy Notice, for information about how we collect, use, and disclose personal information of our candidates.
Job ID: TW7431