Launched in 2011, Twitch is a global community that comes together each day to create multiplayer entertainment: unique, live, unpredictable experiences created by the interactions of millions. We bring the joy of co-op to everything, from casual gaming to world-class esports to anime marathons, music, and art streams. Twitch also hosts TwitchCon, where we bring everyone together to celebrate, learn, and grow their personal interests and passions. We’re always live at Twitch. Stay up to date on all things Twitch on LinkedIn, Twitter and on our Blog.
About the Role
The Video Ingest team, a part of the Video Platform organization, develops distributed systems and services as well as media formats and protocols that acquire live streams from the community of broadcasters, perform real-time processing (e.g. video trans-coding) on these streams, and provide a high throughput control plane for making them available for world-wide distribution at scale. We lead the worldwide expansion of Twitch using distributed systems and computer networking technologies to onboard content streams (that could originate anywhere on the planet) onto the Twitch network. Streamlined video trans-coding in our agile media processing pipeline enables a globally responsive and cost efficient system. The scalable playback edge system supports the worldwide delivery of trans-coded media segments and provides a nimble platform for content delivery and playback experimentation. Insights from these experiments are used by our machine learning system to guide product decisions.
The Video Ingest team is looking for a software developer to lead new programs for our media processing systems. We are building a new iteration of our video services that allow for great flexibility in managing our video transcoding resources. This includes efficient management of our transcoding capacity, dynamic load balancing of our global transcoding fleet, nimbleness in how we onboard transcoding recipes and perform transcodes, and validation flows for audio and video bitstreams that get on-boarded to Twitch.
Reporting to the Engineering Manager, Video Platform; you will use your experience with architectural and debugging skills, that cares about scalability, availability and quality to build the next generation of our new multi-tenant video services. As part of the processing team you will focus on discovering creative solutions at scale and reduce the cost of video data ingestion and encoding. We have a very unique opportunity to shape the future of the video industry and your goal to solve challenging problems will contribute to its success. You will get exposure to all this, while having a fun and supportive culture at your disposal.
- Lead the architecture, design, and implementation of successful internet-scale systems and services to support the Twitch video infrastructure.
- Contribute with code and system design to the ecosystem of our services, frameworks and libraries.
- Develop maintainable services and libraries using Golang and AWS platform.
- Work with other groups at Twitch and Amazon to build new components of the Twitch video infrastructure
- Passion for software development and expertise in building large-scale distributed systems and services
- Have a B.S. degree in Computer Science, Math, or an Engineering discipline or equivalent work experience.
- Always improve engineering practices across the team including developing maintainable and evolvable software, meaningful testing, and operations
- You understand media systems and formats including familiarity with some/all of ISO/IEC 13818-1 (MPEG transport streams), 14496-10 (H.264 slice layer and above), 14496-12 (ISO Base Media File Format), RFC 8216 (HTTP Live Streaming)
- Experience working with AWS Services
- Medical, Dental, Vision & Disability Insurance
- Maternity & Parental Leave
- Flexible PTO
- Commuter Benefits
- Amazon Employee Discount
- Monthly Contribution & Discounts for Wellness Related Activities & Programs (e.g., gym memberships, off-site massages, etc.)
- Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner Served Daily
- Free Snacks & Beverages
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Twitch. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.