Launched in 2011, Twitch is a global community that comes together each day to create multiplayer entertainment: unique, live, unpredictable experiences created by the interactions of millions. We bring the joy of co-op to everything, from casual gaming to world-class esports to anime marathons, music, and art streams. Twitch also hosts TwitchCon, where we bring everyone together to celebrate, learn, and grow their personal interests and passions. We’re always live at Twitch. Stay up to date on all things Twitch on LinkedIn, Twitter and on our Blog.
About the Role
The API Platform team builds the high-traffic, internet-facing services that power Twitch websites, mobile clients, and console applications. Our GraphQL edge service is one of the biggest in the industry based on performance, throughput, and sheer number of downstream services it uses. We work with our product teams to design our GraphQL schema that powers the latest Twitch features, while providing a low-latency and responsive user experience. We also manage all of our infrastructure on AWS.
We're looking for people with an interest in building developer-friendly APIs (in GraphQL) backed by highly scalable and performant services. You'll report to the Engineering Manager for the Edge Team.
- Work with product teams to ensure our GraphQL API provides features safely, securely, and swiftly for a great Twitch user experience, Twitch frontend developer experience (calling GraphQL) and Twitch backend developer experience (all the services GraphQL calls).
- Ensure our ever-evolving schema remains well-typed and normalized so Frontend Engineers can extend all Twitch features to our web, mobile, and entertainment platforms.
- Help our product teams and client engineers build and release new features to empower Twitch.
- Build new code analysis tools and monitoring systems to ensure we sustain the service's consistently high availability and low error rates.
- Develop CI and deployment tools and manage our formidable AWS infrastructure using Terraform.
- 5 years of software engineering experience in the industry
- Experience managing a large public-facing API
- Experience maintaining a popular, shared software project with dozens of contributors
- Experience building scalable applications and infrastructure
You'll do great in this role if you:
- Enjoy building intuitive APIs for developers
- Write high-quality code that's easy to read
- Are a bar-raiser for quality, whether in code, infrastructure, docs, or being an excellent team member.
- Dig into the details of managed infrastructure to understand how it all works.
- Write performant concurrent applications that handle hundreds of thousands of requests per second on a single instance.
- Have experience developing with static-typed languages. We work mostly in Go, and while experience as a Go developer isn't required, we do believe being good at types is an important qualification.
- Thrive in a collaborative environment; we work with our other GraphQL squad team members, Edge team members, AWS experts, downstream service owners, frontend engineers, and other partners.
- Medical, Dental, Vision & Disability Insurance
- 401(k), Maternity & Parental Leave
- Flexible PTO
- Commuter Benefits
- Amazon Employee Discount
- Monthly Contribution & Discounts for Wellness Related Activities & Programs (e.g., gym memberships, off-site massages),
- Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner Served Daily
- Free Snacks & Beverages
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Twitch. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.