Launched in 2011, Twitch is a global community that comes together each day to create multiplayer entertainment: unique, live, unpredictable experiences created by the interactions of millions. We bring the joy of co-op to everything, from casual gaming to world-class esports to anime marathons, music, and art streams. Twitch also hosts TwitchCon, where we bring everyone together to celebrate, learn, and grow their personal interests and passions. We’re always live at Twitch. Stay up to date on all things Twitch on LinkedIn, Twitter and on our Blog.
About the Role
Twitch is building the future of interactive entertainment, and the Central Science team at Twitch is invested in giving our experts the scientific tools and data they need to make decisions that help us build the best future, faster. As a software development engineer on the Central Science team, your work will directly impact Twitch's ability to respond to threats, grow an ecosystem of creators, invest resources where they matter most, and connect visitors to the content they love. You will be responsible for leveling up the capabilities and influence of our scientists by empowering them to build reliable, scalable machine learning systems and tools that are used by decision-makers in cross-functional teams throughout Twitch.
You will lead the designing, building, and maintenance of pipelines that convert raw data into refined scientific outputs while working collaboratively with science staff to scope new solutions to problems and identify opportunities to improve existing ones. We are looking for someone who is eager to partner with non-engineers on scientific projects, to engage in reciprocal mentorship with teammates possessing varied strengths and areas of expertise, to build tools that are used by leaders throughout the company to aid their decision-making, and to bring an emphasis on engineering operational excellence to our science team.
- Oversee the engineering roadmap for the Central Science team
- Design, build, and maintain performant machine-learning data pipelines
- Develop new capabilities within our data and machine-learning pipelines
- Improve the reliability and scalability of our existing tools
- Partner with science staff to understand data and tooling needs
- Embrace and champion engineering best practices within your team and throughout Twitch
- Mentor and guide science staff to develop their technical talents and help them with their growth
- Experience with data ETL, optimizing ML workflows, and maintaining data pipelines
- Evidence of proficiency in creating flexible data solutions without over-engineering
- Desire and ability to write testable, high-quality, and well documented code
- Passion for operational excellence and process improvement
- We encourage candidates to apply who have held the responsibilities above, regardless of years of experience or educational credentials. But we roughly expect candidates to have:
- MS in CS or a related field
- 3+ years of industry experience as a software development engineer or in a related role, preferably in the consumer internet or gaming space, or working with a high-velocity, high-growth product / business
- Experience building and maintaining end-to-end machine-learning pipelines
- Experience with a data orchestration framework such as Airflow, AWS Step Functions.
- Experience working with Amazon Web Services (e.g., S3, Redshift, or Step Functions)
- Proficiency in SQL or working with relational databases
- Fluency in statistical analysis and programming using Python, R, or similar tools
- Familiarity with Twitch, our creators, and our community
- Medical, Dental, Vision & Disability Insurance
- 401(k), Maternity and Parental Leave
- Flexible PTO
- Commuter Benefits
- Amazon Employee Discount
- Monthly Contribution and Discounts for Wellness Related Activities and Programs (e.g., gym memberships, off-site massages),
- Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner Served Daily
- Free Snacks and Beverages
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Twitch. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.