Launched in 2011, Twitch is a global community that comes together each day to create multiplayer entertainment: unique, live, unpredictable experiences created by the interactions of millions. We bring the joy of co-op to everything, from casual gaming to world-class esports to anime marathons, music, and art streams. Twitch also hosts TwitchCon, where we bring everyone together to celebrate, learn, and grow their personal interests and passions. We’re always live at Twitch. Stay up to date on all things Twitch on LinkedIn, Twitter and on our Blog.
About the Role
The API Platform team manages the technical foundation of the APIs that power Twitch. Our primary projects include API edges that power Twitch clients such as www.twitch.tv and third-party integrations like StreamLabs, an internal event publishing and subscription platform, and a push-based event service for third parties. Because of the size of Twitch, our projects operate at scale, both regarding requests per second (hundreds of thousands of reqs per second is the norm) and number of contributors (hundreds of internal contributors). Our key challenges are managing these central platforms in a way that maximizes velocity yet preserves quality and other meta concerns, integrating our platforms into Twitch product development processes, and determining long term strategic vision (e.g. what’s the next thing in APIs).
As an engineering manager on the API Platform team, you will be the owner and responsible for running the daily operations of multiple API Platform projects, including Twitch’s third-party API edge, and directly supervising several engineers. You will report to the Director of Browser Clients for all of Twitch. Additionally, you will partner with the team’s product manager to inform your projects’ product direction and translate product vision into an executable engineering roadmap.
- Take an ownership role for various API Platform projects.
- Run the daily operations of various API Platform projects which includes prioritizing engineering work, defining sprints, and conducting operations meetings.
- Oversee and develop engineers directly under your guidance.
- Partner with the team’s product manager to inform product direction and translate project vision into a manageable engineering roadmap.
- Partner with the group director to inform the mission, vision and strategy of the team.
- Work with teams from across the company on Twitch-wide programs such as Central Tech Initiatives.
- Gather feedback from customers to determine prioritization of engineering work.
- Serve in an on-call capacity as needed.
- 4+ years of work experience as an engineering manager supervising at least 3 engineers.
- Experience running the daily operations of software engineering projects of complexity.
- Experience hiring and developing engineers under your guidance.
- Experience gathering feedback from customers to inform engineering prioritization.
- Background in managing public-facing API projects.
- Background in managing software projects with significant throughput and contributor bases.
- Experience in the Go programming language.
- Experience using and managing Amazon Web Service (AWS) services.
- Medical, Dental, Vision & Disability Insurance
- 401(k), Maternity & Parental Leave
- Flexible PTO
- Commuter Benefits
- Amazon Employee Discount
- Monthly Contribution & Discounts for Wellness Related Activities & Programs (e.g., gym memberships, off-site massages, etc.),
- Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner Served Daily
- Free Snacks & Beverages
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Twitch. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.