Launched in 2011, Twitch is a global community that comes together each day to create multiplayer entertainment: unique, live, unpredictable experiences created by the interactions of millions. We bring the joy of co-op to everything, from casual gaming to world-class esports to anime marathons, music, and art streams. Twitch also hosts TwitchCon, where we bring everyone together to celebrate, learn, and grow their personal interests and passions. We’re always live at Twitch. Stay up to date on all things Twitch on LinkedIn, Twitter and on our Blog.
About the Role
The Central Science team drives evidence-based decisions throughout Twitch. We are researchers and leaders who advise our decisions and identify ways to use data and models to develop new capabilities. We are an interdisciplinary team using experts in data science, statistics, and economics to improve the world’s leading live-streaming platform.
You will set a research agenda that answers company-wide questions about our viewers, creators, and business processes. You will use research results to decide strategy for the company and build a foundation of models, tools, systems, and practices used by quantitative staff across Twitch.
- Establish the research vision for Central Science, and oversee planning, staffing, and prioritization to make sure the team is advancing that roadmap. Accomplish concrete work that advances that roadmap
- Be a source of science excellence in everything we do, raising the quality of the team’s work through peer review, integrating methods, and developing novel methods
- Scale science impact by building durable systems that the product and business teams can depend on for their daily operational
- Partner with the executive team on how to apply your team’s research to our most challenging strategic question
- Hire, retain, and develop outstanding and diverse staff through ownership of our science hiring processes, brand, and functional leadership of science staff
- Improve the efficiency of your team over time by building processes, tools, and documentation.
- Work with colleagues in other science, business, engineering, and analytics teams to identify gaps and opportunities for work.
- Professional experience as a science leader, setting the vision for how to most use models and data to improve outcomes
- Expert-level experience with quantitative methods that can be applied to business problems
- Evidence you’ve been able to scope and deliver your research in a way that guide the agenda of a large organization
- Fluent in data fundamentals: SQL, data manipulation using a procedural language, statistics, experimentation, and modeling
- Advanced knowledge of machine-learning techniques, economics, and software engineering
- Prior work with marketplace or entertainment-type products, especially at a tech company
- Experience with data pipelining from data preparation to analysis to model deployment
- We encourage candidates to apply who have held the responsibilities above, regardless of years of experience or educational credentials. But we roughly expect candidates to have:
- A PhD in a quantitative field
- 6+ years of experience working in data science in a consumer product company
- 3+ years of experience managing data scientists, statisticians, or economists, including intermediate managers
- 3+ years of experience partnering with executive staff on data topics
- Medical, Dental, Vision & Disability Insurance
- Maternity and Parental Leave
- Flexible PTO
- Commuter Benefits
- Amazon Employee Discount
- Monthly Contribution and Discounts for Wellness Related Activities & Programs (e.g., gym memberships, off-site massages)
- Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner Served Daily
- Free Snacks and Beverages
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Twitch. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.