Launched in 2011, Twitch is a global community that comes together each day to create multiplayer entertainment: unique, live, unpredictable experiences created by the interactions of millions. We bring the joy of co-op to everything, from casual gaming to world-class esports to anime marathons, music, and art streams. Twitch also hosts TwitchCon, where we bring everyone together to celebrate, learn, and grow their personal interests and passions. We’re always live at Twitch. Stay up to date on all things Twitch on LinkedIn, Twitter and on our Blog.
About the Role
Twitch Game Communities is changing the way we watch and play video games. Our developers use our products every day to build the future of live, multiplayer entertainment improving the lives of our streamers and viewers. For example, Twitch Extensions allow viewers to lean-in and be a part of the show -- providing real time information about the game (what character is on screen?); voting for the next segment (what game should I play next?); or, enabling viewers to manipulate the game itself (please drop me loot!).
We’re looking for a senior software engineer to help us build the services that advance the frontier of playing and watching games, blurring the lines between. You’ll work with your team and across the organization to create features that delight our customers, architecture that scales, and grow yourself and your coworkers skills. Reporting to a Senior Engineering Manager, you’ll act in both supportive and leadership roles.
You’ll be partnering with product as they connect our customer’s needs to features. You’ll then be responsible for designing and scaling systems to exceed them. Game Communities is a unique organization within Twitch that serves businesses and consumers, and considering scalability of solutions and processes is critical to success.
Joining our team will put you in the driver's seat for engineering these interactive experiences on and off Twitch. You’ll be sweating the details and taking pride in what you and your team build. Together with third party developers, you’ll bring never been before seen interactions to life that reach millions of users a day.
Successful candidates will be strong engineers who can prioritize well, communicate clearly, and have a consistent track record of delivery. Developers require highly available systems, with a strong SLA and friendly interfaces and lifecycle. The successful candidate has thoughtful opinions and is passionate about delivering a good developer and end user experience.
You will work closely with other engineers on your team, as well as data science and product management to deliver well-engineered products that delight customers and meet the test of cutting-edge engineering craftsmanship. In addition, you will bring experience to refine development processes and motivate top talent to do their best work.
- Design, build, and maintain services for Twitch’s developer community to bring mutual value to streamers, viewers and themselves.
- Scale these systems to stay ahead of the exponentially growing demand
- Influence best engineering practices through strong operational excellence principles, architectural decisions, processes, and tools
- Stretch yourself, creating delightful experiences for our customers and opportunities for you and your team to grow into.
- Collaborate with cross-functional Engineering teams to streamline and improve the Engineering culture and practices at Twitch
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science or a closely related field or equivalent practical experience
- Experience building real time systems and or multiplayer games.
- 5+ years of software development experience designing and building web based scalable services
- Strong organizational, leadership and communication skills
- Experience architecting and building applications or web services at scale
- Passion for operational excellence and continuous process improvement
- Worked on major real time systems that are Twitch scale
- Knowledge of Go/React programming and their ecosystem for production ready systems
- Strong familiarity with the AWS ecosystem
- MS or Ph.D. in CS or related field
- Strong understanding of game design.
- Medical, Dental, Vision & Disability Insurance
- 401(k), Maternity & Parental Leave
- Flexible PTO
- Commuter Benefits
- Amazon Employee Discount
- Monthly Contribution & Discounts for Wellness Related Activities & Programs (e.g., gym memberships, off-site massages, etc.),
- Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner Served Daily
- Free Snacks & Beverages
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Twitch. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.