Launched in 2011, Twitch is a global community that comes together each day to create multiplayer entertainment: unique, live, unpredictable experiences created by the interactions of millions. We bring the joy of co-op to everything, from casual gaming to world-class esports to anime marathons, music, and art streams. Twitch also hosts TwitchCon, where we bring everyone together to celebrate, learn, and grow their personal interests and passions. We’re always live at Twitch. Stay up to date on all things Twitch on LinkedIn, Twitter and on our Blog.
About the Role
The Video Ingest team in the Twitch Video Platform organization develops systems and services that acquire live streams from the community of Twitch broadcasters, perform real-time processing (e.g., trans-coding), thus making them available for world-wide distribution at scale. We lead the worldwide expansion of Twitch using distributed systems and computer networking technologies to on-board content streams (that could originate anywhere on the planet) onto the Twitch network. Streamlined video trans-coding in our agile media processing pipeline enables a globally responsive and cost efficient system. The scalable playback edge system supports the worldwide delivery of trans-coded media segments and provides a nimble platform for content delivery and playback experimentation. Insights from these experiments are used by our machine learning system to guide product decisions.
The Video Ingest team is looking for a senior engineer to lead new programs for our media processing systems. We are building a new iteration of our video services that allow for great flexibility in managing our video transcoding resources. This includes efficient management of our transcoding capacity, dynamic load balancing our global transcoding fleet, efficient management of our transcoding capacity and nimbleness in how we onboard transcoding recipes and perform transcodes, and meaningful validation of audio and video bitstreams that get onboarded to Twitch.
We are looking for a senior engineer, with architectural and debugging skills, that cares about scalability, availability and quality to build the next generation of our new multi-tenant video services. Being a part of our team will mean you will focus on discovering creative solutions to scale up and reduce the cost of video data ingestion and encoding, from networking down to the hardware layer. We have a very unique opportunity to shape the future of the video industry and your goal to solve challenging problems will play a key role in its success. You will get exposure to all this, while having a fun and supportive culture at your disposal.
- Lead the architecture, design, and implementation of successful internet-scale systems and services to support the Twitch video infrastructure
- Contribute with code and system design to the ecosystem of our services, frameworks and libraries
- Develop maintainable services and libraries using Golang and AWS platform
- Work with other groups at Twitch and Amazon to deliver new components of the Twitch video infrastructure
- Mentor junior engineers and train new team mates about our customers, and our software and how it fits into the bigger picture
- You have a passion for software development and expertise in building large-scale distributed systems and services
- You have a B.S. degree in Computer Science, Math, or an Engineering discipline
- You have 5+ years of software development experience
- You understand media systems and formats including familiarity with some/all of ISO/IEC 13818-1 (MPEG transport streams), 14496-10 (H.264 slice layer and above), 14496-12 (ISO Base Media File Format), RFC 8216 (HTTP Live Streaming)
- You constantly improve engineering practices across the team including developing maintainable and evolvable software, meaningful testing, and operations
- Medical, Dental, Vision & Disability Insurance
- Maternity & Parental Leave
- Flexible PTO
- Commuter Benefits
- Amazon Employee Discount
- Monthly Contribution & Discounts for Wellness Related Activities & Programs (e.g., gym memberships, off-site massages, etc.)
- Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner Served Daily
- Free Snacks & Beverages
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Twitch. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.