Launched in 2011, Twitch is a global community that comes together each day to create multiplayer entertainment: unique, live, unpredictable experiences created by the interactions of millions. We bring the joy of co-op to everything, from casual gaming to world-class esports to anime marathons, music, and art streams. Twitch also hosts TwitchCon, where we bring everyone together to celebrate, learn, and grow their personal interests and passions. We’re always live at Twitch. Stay up to date on all things Twitch on LinkedIn, Twitter and on our Blog.
About the Role
Twitch’s legal department is looking for a Senior Product Counsel to join our legal team, responsible for advising our consumer product, Trust and Safety, and Data Security teams on content and media laws and regulations, privacy/data security, consumer protection, data security, and other global legal/regulatory compliance in connection with Twitch’s products and content on our service. Using business sense, and focusing on the needs of our users, you will assist the product, marketing, and other teams to develop thoughtful strategies in connection with product development, content and marketing policies, and trust and safety practices, while assessing and mitigating legal risk. This is your chance to join Twitch’s close-knit legal team, with team members on Amazon legal teams and with our outside counsel, and have fun tackling the complex issues of our user community. You will report to our Deputy General Counsel who is based in San Francisco, CA.
- Review products and programs to advise on a range of global laws, regulations and industry standards, with a focus on privacy/data security, consumer protection, content/media, and intellectual property laws and regulations
- Draft and guide the implementation of policies, terms, disclosures, and processes across the business, to strengthen the consumer experience, and to protect our legal interests
- Coordinate with diverse partners, including Product, Engineering, Content, Trust & Safety, Marketing, and other teams
- Ensure Amazon and Twitch legal policies and best practices are followed, and collaborate within the legal team to improve our operations and efficiency at scale
- Remain up-to-date on relevant laws and industry standards
- J.D. Degree and excellent academic credentials; member in good standing of California Bar, or eligible to practice as Registered In-House Counsel in California
- 8+ years prior legal experience, with both prior in-house experience at a consumer technology company and prior leading law firm experience required; prior government/regulatory agency experience preferred.
- Substantial experience in U.S. and international laws and standards governing content/media, privacy/data protection, consumer protection, and intellectual property
- A solid understanding of product and policy development and business operations; demonstrated experience advising clients in the development of internet, mobile, video or gaming products
- Apply abstract and difficult concepts to the practical needs of our business operations.
- A agreement builder who uses teamwork to work with multiple teams throughout the organization to get needed information and support, and navigate problems.
- Enthusiastic and easy-going attitude, and a great sense of humor.
- Experience as a product counsel at a technology company
- CIPP certification
- Gaming industry experience
- Technical degree or high level of comfort with technology
- Medical, Dental, Vision & Disability Insurance, 401(k), Maternity & Parental Leave, Flexible PTO, Commuter Benefits, Amazon Employee Discount, Monthly Contribution & Discounts for Wellness Related Activities & Programs (e.g., gym memberships, off-site massages, etc.), Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner Served Daily, Free Snacks & Beverages
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Twitch. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.