Launched in 2011, Twitch is a global community that comes together each day to create multiplayer entertainment: unique, live, unpredictable experiences created by the interactions of millions. We bring the joy of co-op to everything, from casual gaming to world-class esports to anime marathons, music, and art streams. Twitch also hosts TwitchCon, where we bring everyone together to celebrate, learn, and grow their personal interests and passions. We’re always live at Twitch. Stay up to date on all things Twitch on LinkedIn, Twitter and on our Blog.
About the Position
The Viewer Engagement team is looking for a data scientist to help build and define the future for products (like Twitch Chat and Channel Points!) that enable streamers to build healthy communities on Twitch. By joining our team, you’ll move quickly to ship social interactions features that have high visibility, high impact, and delight our users.
Our team seeks an outstanding data scientist with a track record of delivering results for product teams. We prize creative problem solvers with the ability to adapt models and methods to understand what Twitch viewers love. Our problems include driving community participation, predicting and preventing churn, and identifying new, engaging multiplayer experiences. The ideal candidate combines acumen in data science and natural language processing to grapple with these and other challenges and shape the products powering the future of community entertainment.
You’ll find a Requirements section below. If you meet all these then we encourage you to apply. If you only meet some of them but think this role sounds like something you’d be great at, we encourage you to apply. If you meet just one of them but think you’ll bring something unique to the team, we encourage you to apply.
- Drive knowledge of how to delight Twitch viewers through ownership of research projects from data collection to model development, estimation, and validation
- Work with a diverse product team to identify and answer research questions at the right level of detail
- Deliver product insights from numeric and textual data to technical and non-technical team members
- Serve as the voice of science in making critical product decisions
- Collaborate with analysts, scientists, and engineers to develop reliable and reproducible analyses at scale
- Deliver well-documented datasets, tools, and reports to key technical and business stakeholders
- 2+ years of experience on a data-, research-, or applied-science team. Please do not apply if you are currently in a graduate program or do not meet this requirement
- PhD-level training in computer science, statistics, or highly related field OR an MS with 2+ years experience OR equivalent applied research experience
- Facility with NLP domains (e.g., topic modeling, sentiment analysis) applied at scale
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills on quantitative topics
- Fluency in data-science fundamentals: data manipulation in R or Python, SQL, and statistics
- Keen judgment for balancing research depth and pacing
- Experience with machine-learning techniques and two-sided marketplaces
- Prior work with marketplace or entertainment-type products, especially at a tech company
- Experience with data pipelining from data preparation to analysis to deployment
- 5+ years of experience in industry, consulting, government, or academic research
- Excitement to shape the development of a growing team and help millions of content creators and viewers
- Familiar with or uses Twitch
- Medical, Dental, Vision & Disability Insurance
- Maternity & Parental Leave
- Flexible PTO
- Commuter Benefits
- Amazon Employee Discount
- Monthly Contribution & Discounts for Wellness Related Activities & Programs (e.g., gym memberships, off-site massages, etc.)
- Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner Served Daily
- Free Snacks & Beverages
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Twitch. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.