Launched in 2011, Twitch is a global community that comes together each day to create multiplayer entertainment: unique, live, unpredictable experiences created by the interactions of millions. We bring the joy of co-op to everything, from casual gaming to world-class esports to anime marathons, music, and art streams. Twitch also hosts TwitchCon, where we bring everyone together to celebrate, learn, and grow their personal interests and passions. We’re always live at Twitch. Stay up to date on all things Twitch on LinkedIn, Twitter and on our Blog.
About the Position
The Science team drives evidence-based decision-making throughout Twitch. We are researchers and leaders who advise product and business decisions and identify ways to use data and models to develop new capabilities. We are an interdisciplinary team leveraging experts in analytics, data science, and user and audience research to improve the world’s leading livestreaming platform.
Our team seeks an outstanding data scientist with demonstrated experience conducting causal inference at scale. We prize creative problem solvers with the ability to adapt and extend state-of-the-art experimental and quasi-experimental methods to the unique Twitch environment. Our problems include attributing values to actions in complex, multi-sided markets and helping diverse creators discover their drivers of success. The ideal candidate combines acumen in data science and causal modeling to grapple with these and other challenges and guide decision-making at the highest levels of Twitch.
- Drive Twitch’s knowledge of users and creators through ownership of research projects from data collection to model development, estimation, and validation
- Autonomously identify and pursue research with significant business impact, and make compelling cases for prioritization and resource allocation
- Serve as a subject-matter expert in the design of experiments and exploitation of quasi-experimental variation. Work with team members and stakeholders to drive understanding and adoption of proper causal inference techniques
- Collaborate with specialists in data science, analytics, engineering, and economics disciplines to efficiently develop reliable and reproducible analyses at scale
- Deliver well-documented datasets, tools, and reports to key technical and business stakeholders
- 2+ years of experience on a data-, research-, or applied-science team. Please do not apply if you are currently in a graduate program or do not meet this requirement
- PhD-level training in economics, statistics, or highly related field OR an MS with 3+ years experience OR equivalent applied research experience
- Expert-level facility with causal-inference techniques (e.g., A/B tests, matching methods) applied at scale
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills on quantitative topics
- Fluency in data-science fundamentals: data manipulation in R or Python, SQL, and statistics
- Keen judgment for balancing research depth and pacing
- Advanced knowledge of machine-learning techniques applied to causal inference
- Prior work with marketplace or entertainment-type products, especially at a tech company
- Experience with data pipelining from data preparation to analysis to deployment
- 5+ years of experience in industry, consulting, government, or academic research
- Excitement to shape the development of a growing team and help millions of content creators and viewers
- Familiar with or uses Twitch
- Medical, Dental, Vision & Disability Insurance
- Maternity & Parental Leave
- Flexible PTO
- Commuter Benefits
- Amazon Employee Discount
- Monthly Contribution & Discounts for Wellness Related Activities & Programs (e.g., gym memberships, off-site massages, etc.)
- Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner Served Daily
- Free Snacks & Beverages
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Twitch. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.