Launched in 2011, Twitch is a global community that comes together each day to create multiplayer entertainment: unique, live, unpredictable experiences created by the interactions of millions. We bring the joy of co-op to everything, from casual gaming to world-class esports to anime marathons, music, and art streams. Twitch also hosts TwitchCon, where we bring everyone together to celebrate, learn, and grow their personal interests and passions. We’re always live at Twitch. Stay up to date on all things Twitch on Linkedin, Twitter and on our Blog.
About the Position
Twitch is looking for a Software Engineer to join our Security Development (SecDev) group. The team is responsible for designing and implementing critical security software and tools that empower teams to keep Twitch secure. We create the building blocks that other teams leverage in their everyday development. We believe the best type of security software is an easy to use security software and we work hard to make that possible. We’re looking for a person that wants to participate in a positive, encouraging team that cares about the people it protects. Does that sound like you, or like someone you want to be? Cool. We would like for you to apply.
As a Software Engineer on SecDev, you will help provide technical direction for, add critical features to, and help grow and scale several of the team’s ongoing projects and services. You will also be involved in helping the team define future research and development projects with the ability to directly drive and impact the team’s roadmap. As our services are all critical, you will also help us ensure we meet our availability goals.
This team builds security services and tools that support the many platforms, languages, tech stacks, and technologies across Twitch. As such, on top of being responsible for making sure all of Twitch can be supported by our services, this team also have a solid grasp on security concepts and ensure we’re implementing them correctly. You can expect to learn about all of these as you spend time on this team and as your role expands. We do not expect that you’re an expert in all of these responsibilities. We want you to be familiar with several of the team's responsibility areas, or well versed in one of them and interested in the other areas. We know that lots of good people don't give themselves enough credit for their own competency. You are a software engineer at heart - you live and breath to write code and build infrastructure; you just also have a passion for Security. If you think that you're interested, and that you may be qualified, please contact us. You cannot waste our time. Let us worry about our time.
You’ll find a Requirements section far below. If you meet all these then we encourage you to apply. If you only meet some of them but think this role sounds like something you’d be great at, we encourage you to apply. If you meet just one of them but think you bring something unique to the team, we encourage you to apply.
- Maintain and evolve existing react, GraphQL, and Go codebases
- Write maintainable code with extensive test coverage, working in a professional software engineering environment (with source control, dev/stage/prod release cycle, continuous deployment)
- Identify and help address organization wide security initiatives.
- Work on security services and tools including secret management, user to service auth, and service to service auth.
- Setting up, maintaining, and scaling AWS infrastructure
- Strong AWS fluency
- Strong development skills with compiled languages
- Be comfortable engaging with other teams and customers
- You’ve built brilliant APIs/interfaces/software that other programmers love to use.
- Be comfortable with oncall (Twitch believes you build it, you run it, you own it)
- 3+ years doing full stack development
- 3+ years working in professional software engineering environment
- Demonstrated software development proficiency (Go, Python, Scala, Java, Ruby etc.)
- You know how to ship code in fast, iterative cycles
- A Bachelor’s in Computer Science, or Computer Engineering, or equivalent experience
- Must be willing to work from SF office
- You’ve worked with Go before.
- Previous security product development experience
- You have knowledge/exposure to a few security concepts.
- You’ve had some experience doing UX/UI work
- You’re passionate about writing end to end tests
- Experience developing scalable architecture
- You love product and love to facilitate customer feedback
- You’ve worked with modern frontend frameworks (React, Vue, Angular)
- Creative problem solving ability and a bias towards action.
- Avid user of Twitch with a passion for the Twitch community
- Medical, Dental, Vision & Disability Insurance
- Maternity & Parental Leave
- Flexible PTO
- Commuter Benefits
- Amazon Employee Discount
- Monthly Contribution & Discounts for Wellness Related Activities & Programs (e.g., gym memberships, off-site massages, etc.)
- Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner Served Daily
- Free Snacks & Beverages
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Twitch. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.