Launched in 2011, Twitch is a global community that comes together each day to create multiplayer entertainment: unique, live, unpredictable experiences created by the interactions of millions. We bring the joy of co-op to everything, from casual gaming to world-class esports to anime marathons, music, and art streams. Twitch also hosts TwitchCon, where we bring everyone together to celebrate, learn, and grow their personal interests and passions. We’re always live at Twitch. Stay up to date on all things Twitch on Linkedin, Twitter and on our Blog.
About the Position
The Video team is looking for an experienced and motivated Lead Front End Engineer to join our team. The successful candidate will have a proven track record of building highly available and scalable rich applications, turning customer needs into elegant, user-centered designs, as well as implementing those designs by using smart, clean development patterns.
You will work closely with Product Management and Design teams to build the AWS console for the Video API, Analytics dashboards, Mobile experiences & the frontend of related apps. We are building greenfield applications, and this is an opportunity to build them ground up using modern front-end technologies and to have an impact on the future technical direction and the user experience.
We are looking for candidates who thrive in a fast paced start-up like environment and want to invent the future. Creating the perfect user experience requires a blend of technical knowledge, customer obsession and agility. You are curious about how the various components, browsers, networks, protocols and web servers, work together to create the user experience. There are many challenges that can be solved by applying your experience with front end development frameworks and best practices. This role will allow you to refine and develop your skills by having access to other exceptional engineers and teams.
- Set up the technology, frameworks and development methodology for the new FE team
- Help define the system architecture, own and implement specific components, and help shape the overall experience.
- Develop rich looking responsive user interfaces using modern front-end web technologies
- Lead the frontend applications architecture to develop common reusable code
- Lead discussions to analyze business needs, then innovate and develop front-end solutions
- Instill the culture of software quality from inception to production deployment. Write quality code backed by automated unit, integration tests.
- Instrument apps, debug to resolve production issues and tune the applications to improve performance.
- Break down the work items, assign tasks to junior engineers and mentor them to grow
- Continuously learn modern technologies, share with team, improve best practices for frontend applications development and delivery
- Own and operate the systems based on real-time customer data and demanding service-level agreements
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or other technical field, or commensurate professional experience.
- Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design, data structures and algorithms
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle
- 7+ years of Front end development experience
- Experience taking a leading role in building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
- Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, technical designs, and product strategy
- Solid written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present a strong rationale for design decisions
- Hands-on expertise in many disparate front-end technologies and the curiosity and ability to pick up more
- Experience setting up software engineering best practices within your team and influencing and mentoring junior engineers
- The ability to be self-directed, and be able to direct the work of other front-end engineers as a Technical Leader
- Mastery of toolset from applications development, production build & deploy tools.
- Experience developing highly responsive, performant large scale applications for consumers with different devices and network speeds
- Experience instrumenting applications, performing advanced level debugging, analysis and interacting with ops to debug production issues
- Very good written and verbal communication skills to collaborate and lead technical team
- You are passionate about building great products.
- You thrive in a fast-paced environment and do not shy away from change and ambiguity
- You are a highly motivated, team player with can-do spirit -- a strong sense of ownership, urgency, and drive.
- You have strong analytical skills and problem solving abilities.
- Medical, Dental, Vision & Disability Insurance
- Maternity & Parental Leave
- Flexible PTO
- Commuter Benefits
- Amazon Employee Discount
- Monthly Contribution & Discounts for Wellness Related Activities & Programs (e.g., gym memberships, off-site massages, etc.)
- Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner Served Daily
- Free Snacks & Beverages
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Twitch. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.