Programmable DNA, the software of Life, is finally here! Twist Bioscience is developing a disruptive Synthetic DNA technology that will change the world, enabling widespread health and sustainability. Synthetic biologists will use our products to engineer how organisms produce cures to diseases, everyday chemicals are made using the atmosphere as the carbon source, plants make their own fertilizers, in-vivo diagnostics will alert us when we are sick, and many more applications.
The Bioinformatics and Biosecurity group at Twist is currently seeking a Senior Bioinformatics Engineer to help scale DNA synthesis. In collaboration with biologists, chemists, physicists and software developers, the successful candidate will use a variety of methods including software development, algorithm development, statistics, and data visualization to analyze and interpret biological data including next generation sequencing results.
- Developing scalable bioinformatics algorithms, pipelines and tools to solve complex, distributed computing challenges
- Providing statistics, scientific computing and data analysis support to research, product development and manufacturing operations.
- BS in bioinformatics or related field with 6-8 years industry experience or MS/PhD in bioinformatics or related field with 4-6 years industry experience
- Advanced proficiency in Python, R or Rust in a Linux environment
- Broad experience with NGS data analysis, manipulation and presentation (in Python or R)
- Excellent data analysis and visualization skills (in Python, R and using tools like Tableau)
- Excellent understanding of molecular biology, with an emphasis on DNA chemistry preferred
- Proven ability to synthesize and present conclusions from complex analyses in a clear and visually compelling way
- Familiarity with common tools and file formats for genome-scale interval data manipulation and analysis (e.g. bedtools, bedops, etc.)
- Formal software development experience, the software development lifecycle, unit and functional testing (via py.test) and version control via Git
- Familiarity with database (PostgreSQL, NoSQL and Redshift) design, implementation and efficient query construction
- Experience building and using Docker containers
- Familiarity with cloud-based computing environments, especially Amazon Web Services
- Experience using workflow management tools (e.g. Airflow, Galaxy, Luigi)
- Familiarity with web application development including building REST-ful interfaces
- Familiarity with DNA analysis software (MacVector, VectorNTI, SnapGene)
US Citizens, EAD and Green card only. Background check, employment and education verification, and professional references are required.
About Twist Bioscience
Twist Bioscience synthesizes genes from scratch, known as “writing” DNA. Just as children learn to both read and write, the next phase of development for the genomics revolution is the ability to write DNA.
At Twist Bioscience, we work in service of people who are changing the world for the better. In fields such as health care, agriculture, industrial chemicals and data storage, our unique silicon-based DNA Synthesis Platform provides precision at a scale that is otherwise unavailable to our customers.
Twist Bioscience Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Twist Bioscience Corporation provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic characteristics, or any other category protected by law.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.