We are looking for an experienced intellectual property attorney to join our Legal Department in South San Francisco. The IP Counsel will support the Legal Department in meeting various demands of Twist’s growing business operations by developing an understanding of the science, technology, and business strategy necessary to inform both IP strategy as well as business decision making. Day-to-day activities will include invention harvesting, management of patent preparation and prosecution activities, providing advice to research and development teams with respect to IP rights, review of marketing and promotional initiatives, and assisting with negotiation of agreements in support of the business.
What You’ll be Doing
- As a member of Twist Legal’s Intellectual Property team, you will work collaboratively with R&D teams, product teams, and management to advise regarding risks and opportunities related to intellectual property rights and products.
- Participate in invention harvesting, patent preparation and prosecution, and patent portfolio development for Twist’s product portfolios with a focus on biopharma, synthetic biology, and next-generation sequencing (NGS) product offerings.
- Build strong, collaborative relationships with stakeholders across internal teams, including biopharma, product management, R&D, and CTO organizations.
- Carry out and manage IP landscaping searches, due diligence assessments, and freedom-to-operate analyses as needed.
- Review and assist in the drafting and negotiation of nondisclosure, research, license and other agreements involving the use, transfer, or ownership of intellectual property.
- Proactively identify IP-related issues potentially impacting the business, and work cross-functionally to develop and communicate clear advice.
- Effectively manage activities of outside counsel.
- Counsel non-legal colleagues regarding patent strategy and identification of patentable inventions.
- Review proposed publications and marketing collateral for potential IP, contract, and regulatory issues.
- Provide support for corporate development activities, including licensing and acquisitions.
- Prepare and deliver presentations to a variety of audiences on IP topics.
- Communicate effectively within and across the organization as well as with external business contacts.
- Model Twist's core values: Grit, Impact, Service, and Trust.
What You’ll Bring to the Team
- Admission to practice before the USPTO.
- Juris Doctor from an accredited law school and admission before at least one state bar.
- Advanced degree in chemistry- or biotech-related discipline, such as cell or molecular biology, immunology, biochemistry, bioinformatics, organic chemistry, medicinal chemistry, physical chemistry, cancer biology, or genomics.
- 3+ years of experience preparing and prosecuting patent applications in a law firm or in-house in the fields of chemistry, chemical biology, pharmaceuticals, or biotechnology.
- Proven knowledge of global intellectual property laws and practices.
- Some experience performing freedom to operate and patent landscape analyses.
- A history of demonstrating initiative, sound judgment, and a service-oriented focus.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
The base cash compensation for this California-based role is targeted at $190,000 - $222,095 + bonus + equity + benefits. Final compensation amounts are determined by multiple factors, including candidate skill, experience, expertise, and location and may vary from the amount listed above. Compensation may be different in other locations."