Twist is looking for a Senior Bioinformatics Scientist to join our dynamic R&D Bioinformatics team. As a member of the team you will be working with experimental scientists, data scientists and software engineers on turning novel scientific ideas into best in-class synthetic biology and next-generation sequencing applications. You will lead computational projects, design experiments, perform analyses, build tools, and work together with other members of the team. Ideally you will have strong domain knowledge in genomics, as well as extensive experience with next-generation sequencing (NGS) data analysis and bioinformatic pipeline development. You are a collaborative, creative problem solver with excellent communication skills and experience mentoring and leading other staff.
- Act as a liaison between the computational and wet-lab R&D teams to ensure smooth collaboration by setting reasonable expectations and negotiating deliverables and timelines
- Collaborate with bench scientists to provide computational support in all phases of R&D work; guide wet- and dry-lab scientists in the design and execution of experiments and analysis
- Provide leadership within the team and help shape the bioinformatics research roadmap
- Contribute to expanding and improving Twist’s core applications such as target enrichment and panel design
- Develop novel bioinformatics solutions for various synthetic biology applications
- Work closely with the Bioinformatics Software Engineering team to ensure the successful transition of projects from R&D to production
Required skills and experience:
- 5+ years of industry experience, preferably in an R&D environment
- Experience working closely with bench scientists on experimental design and on translating biological questions into quantitative ones
- Proven ability to develop custom algorithms (python) for NGS applications
- Broad experience with NGS technologies (for example: Illumina, PacBio, Nanopore, etc), applications (genotyping, variant analysis, viral genomics, metagenomics, RNA-seq, methylation, single-cell, etc.) and data analysis
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Prior experience leading projects and people
- D. in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Genomics or similar discipline
- Understanding of Target Enrichment and Panel Design
- Experience with best software engineering practices and tools (source control, documentation, code reviews, coding standards, following a defined development process, etc.)
About Twist Bioscience
Twist Bioscience synthesizes genes from scratch, known as “writing” DNA. Just as children learn to both read and write, the next phase of development for the genomics revolution is the ability to write DNA.
At Twist Bioscience, we work in service of people who are changing the world for the better. In fields such as health care, agriculture, industrial chemicals and data storage, our unique silicon-based DNA Synthesis Platform provides precision at a scale that is otherwise unavailable to our customers.
Twist Bioscience Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Twist Bioscience Corporation provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic characteristics, or any other category protected by law.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.