Twist is looking for a full-time Sr Global Trade Compliance Specialist to support Twist’s growth as we continue to establish our global footprint. The ideal candidate is invested in building sustainable and scalable Global Trade Compliance practices and working with various internal and external stakeholders to ensure Twist’s businesses are conducted in adherence to applicable US and non-US laws and regulations pertaining to international trade as well as ensuring compliance with Twist Corporate policies.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Partner with multiple departments and external parties to gather trade requirements and build, document and execute scalable trade compliance practices. Stakeholders include Legal, Logistics, Supply Chain, Operations, Customer Support, Sales, IT, Finance, R&D, Engineering, OGA, etc.
- Define regional requirements, in line with global customs and trade compliance standards and regional laws and regulations.
- Monitor, evaluate and interpret regulatory changes, assess impacts on business, effectively communicate impacts to all affected parties and update internal practices and procedure as needed.
- Ensure trade data is properly classified and maintain HS and UNSPC classifications, Export Control Classification (ECCN), country of origin information, Schedule B, valuation, etc.
- Conduct internal audit and assessment of business activities for adherence to import/export procedures throughout the business lifecycle, including early-stage review of new products and classification/characterization of commodities through final delivery to customer.
- Maintain and evaluate compliance status with various regulatory bodies including customs, export control and applicable tax authorities.
- Create, monitor, measure, and report Key Performance Indicators to senior management on adherence to regulations and procedures.
- Proactively monitor and report procedural gaps and actual incidents and develop corrective actions.
- Serve as the subject matter expert on trade operations with regional finance, tax, treasury and regional infrastructure/logistics teams to gather/assess local requirements and develop a regional trade program to meet identified needs.
- Ensure policies and proper documentation are maintained and effectively implemented, and are current to evolving US and global requirements, regulations and corporate policies & standards.
- Identify compliance gaps and recommend process improvements.
- Assist in establishing and maintaining localized policies and procedures for compliance with import and export regulations as well as ensuring broad Company awareness of these requirements.
- Identify and develop business processes to address compliance risks, with a focus on continuous process improvement to increase efficiency and improve performance to customers.
- Provide necessary updates of daily activities to the Logistics Manager and other stakeholders as needed
- Ensure legal compliance with internal company policy and relevant government regulations.
- Own and lead in the development of export/import training materials.
- Perform required internal export and import audits, including creating the applicable report; providing corrective action; follow-up and closure.
What You’ll Bring to the Team
- Bachelor's degree and 5+ years of experience in international logistics, export & import roles, or 10+ years of relevant experience in lieu of a degree
- Deep knowledge and experience in application of the Customs valuation code, classification under the Harmonized System, duty avoidance programs, duty deferral programs, import & export entries & admissibility, preferential free trade programs, country of origin & marking determination and record keeping requirements
- Strong knowledge and experience with customs regulations in North America, Asia, the Middle East and Europe.
- Working knowledge of the EAR, OFAC, FTR and restricted party screening
- Knowledge of Incoterms
- Experience with ACE/AES
- Ability to read, interpret, analyze, and assimilate regulations and technical documents
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong analytical skills along with good judgment
- In depth knowledge of, and extensive experience with U.S. and Australia trade-related requirements
- Experience with the trade-related regulatory regimes of Israel, China, Korea, Taiwan and Japan.
- Familiarity with the trade compliance regimes of the EU and other European countries
- Specialized knowledge of non-U.S. import or export trade regulations
- Excellent judgment in solving complex problems and developing solutions
- Experience in developing and maintaining Import/Export Compliance procedures
- Experience with Amber Road, SAP GTS, or other trade compliance software
- Prior experience within a trade compliance team in large, global technology or life science companies
- Extensive knowledge and experience with HS Classification
- Customs broker license
About Twist Bioscience
Twist Bioscience synthesizes genes from scratch, known as “writing” DNA. Just as children learn to both read and write, the next phase of development for the genomics revolution is the ability to write DNA.
At Twist Bioscience, we work in service of people who are changing the world for the better. In fields such as health care, agriculture, industrial chemicals and data storage, our unique silicon-based DNA Synthesis Platform provides precision at a scale that is otherwise unavailable to our customers.
Twist Bioscience Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Twist Bioscience Corporation provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic characteristics, or any other category protected by law.