Twist is launching a R&D/Production center in Guangzhou. We are looking for a Director of R&D to be the founding member of the R&D team.
- Build Twist’s R&D group in China from the ground up. In collaboration with Twist’s leadership team, define the China R&D roadmap, develop a plan, and execute to the plan
- Collaborate with the R&D team at Twist’s US headquarters in South San Francisco, developing applications and assays for Synthetic Biology (SynBio) and Next-Generation Sequencing (NGS)
- Develop, support and perform custom production of early stage or non-standard SynBio and NGS products, refining the workflow and process, scaling up production, and establishing routine production over time
- PhD degree in Chemistry, Biology, Biochemistry, or a closely related field
- 5+ years of work experience in R&D and process development at a SynBio, NGS, or diagnostic company
- 3+ years people management experience, with strong hiring and team building experience and skills
- Direct experience with NGS product development and applications
- Strong background in molecular biology including gene synthesis, molecular cloning, enzymatic assays, PCR/qPCR/dPCR, etc.
- Technical knowledge in bioinformatics
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills. Gather and analyze information masterfully; identify problems and use a combination of knowledge, intuition, and experience to solve problems in a timely manner.
- Excellent communication skills – proficient in writing and communicating in English.
- High attention to detail
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment
- Self-motivated and passionate about your work
- Direct experience with liquid handling systems and automation tools
- Industrial experience in SynBio or NGS companies is highly desirable
- Experience in gene synthesis/assembly is highly desirable
- Experience in NGS kit development is highly desirable
- Experience in LIMS and data tracking systems
- Applications based on synthetic DNA, such as protein engineering
- Expert understanding in genetic and genomic sciences
- Chemistry knowledge in DNA synthesis
- Guangzhou International Biological Island