Programmable DNA, the software of life, is finally here! Twist Bioscience is developing a disruptive Synthetic DNA technology that will change the world, enabling widespread health and sustainability. Synthetic biologists will use our products to engineer how organisms produce cures to diseases, everyday chemicals are made using the atmosphere as the carbon source, plants make their own fertilizers, in-vivo diagnostics will alert us when we are sick, and many more applications including even long term storage of data encoded in DNA.
Twist is looking for a Bioinformatics Engineer to join our China team, based in Guangzhou. As the founding member of our China bioinformatics team you will be responsible for the implementation, deployment, and maintenance of our bioinformatics pipelines for the Chinese market. You will work closely with bioinformatics scientists and engineers at our US headquarters to port our bioinformatics tools to the Chinese cloud, ensuring that our customers and employees have self-serve access to best-in-class bioinformatics tools and support. You will also work with the China R&D team on product and process development and implementation.
Our ideal candidate will have broad domain knowledge in bioinformatics, with an emphasis on DNA and sequencing; excellent programming and cloud computing skills; strong understanding of molecular biology; and deep experience with next-generation sequencing and analysis. Good communication skills and the ability to work independently are a must.
- Port, deploy, and maintain analysis pipelines written in Python/Bash/CWL from our US infrastructure to a Chinese cloud provider
- Make those analysis pipelines available as a self-serve resource for our FAS team
- Support the FAS team with improvements and troubleshooting
- Collaborate with the wider bioinformatics team to improve our analysis pipelines, from a scientific, usability, and scalability perspective
- Support the wider R&D team with general bioinformatics needs
- Collaborate with R&D and Field Application Scientists to recognize and address software automation opportunities and scalability bottlenecks
- Apply software engineering best practices to update and improve bioinformatics pipelines
- Supplement bioinformatics needs for a variety of Twist applications
- Troubleshoot complex issues quickly and effectively
- Must reside in China, or be willing to relocate to China (Guangzhou preferred)
- Fluent in spoken and written Mandarin and English
- D. in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, or equivalent experience
- 3+ years of industry experience in an NGS-focused workplace
- Strong Proficiency with Python, SQL, Bash
- Familiarity with pipeline orchestration tools (eg. Airflow, Luigi, CWL)
- Hands-on experience with version control and the development of software packages with tests
- Experience with cloud computing and deployment (AWS and Alibaba cloud)
- Familiarity with bioinformatics software platforms (Seven Bridges, DNAnexus, BGI online)
- Excellent understanding of molecular and cell biology
- Able to effectively communicate and work with onsite and offsite teams
- Excellent documentation skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Experience with Target Enrichment
- Experience with Docker and Kubernetes
- Experience with DevOps and CI/CD
- Broad experience with next-generation sequencing technologies (Illumina, PacBio, Nanopore, BGI/MGI, 10X genomics), and applications (cancer, genotyping, viral, metagenomics, RNA-seq, methylation, single-cell, rare disease, CNV, etc.)
- Deep experience in Next-Generation Sequencing data analysis including common tools (e. bwa, GATK, Picard, etc.), file formats (FASTQ, BAM, VCF, BED), and databases (UCSC, Ensembl, NCBI)
- Experience with synthetic and molecular biology
About Twist Bioscience
About Twist Bioscience
Twist Bioscience synthesizes genes from scratch, known as “writing” DNA. Just as children learn to both read and write, the next phase of development for the genomics revolution is the ability to write DNA.
At Twist Bioscience, we work in service of people who are changing the world for the better. In fields such as health care, agriculture, industrial chemicals and data storage, our unique silicon-based DNA Synthesis Platform provides precision at a scale that is otherwise unavailable to our customers.
Twist Bioscience Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Twist Bioscience Corporation provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic characteristics, or any other category protected by law.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.