Reporting to the Intellectual Property Counsel, the Contracts Attorney, will be responsible for legal matters for a leading synthetic biology company. The Contracts Attorney will prepare, review, and negotiate a wide variety of contracts and other legal documents, advise the Sales and Marketing Department on applicable law, and ensure that the company’s sales and marketing practices are in compliance with all applicable law. The position will also support the BioPharma division on a variety of pharma related commercial contracting, licensing and marketing matters.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Responsible for drafting and negotiating contracts and other legal documents for Twist’s Commercial team and BioPharma Division, including supply and services agreements, end user license agreements, in- and out-licensing agreements, collaboration agreements, strategic partnership agreements, NDAs, CDAs, and other contracting needs.
- Review and negotiate government prime and subcontractor agreements.
- Negotiate and draft contracts with vendors, suppliers, purchasers, and customers.
- Review and draft employee benefit and HR related agreements.
- Advise company on best practices and legal updates affecting contracting.
- Provide legal support to e-commerce efforts.
- Developing standard terms and template language for commercial and pharma-related contracts.
- Manage processes and workflows governing the intake, review, and approval of commercial and pharma-related contract requests.
- Review of marketing material and advising the business on a variety of issues.
- Provide training to stakeholders.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
What You’ll Bring to the Team
- J.D. Required. Registered to practice in California or be eligible for Registered In-House Counsel (RIHC) status in California.
- 6-10 years of relevant experience at a major law firm and/or in-house legal department with an emphasis on contracting and commercial experience in the life sciences.
- Experience drafting, negotiating and managing a high volume of commercial and pharma-related contracts (e.g., manufacturing, distribution, licensing, research collaboration, material transfer, supply chain, and pre-clinical agreements), and fostering strategic partnerships.
- Familiarity with synthetic biology and sequencing products and processes, drug development landscape, antibody therapies, and personalized medicine.
- The ability to manage outside counsel and assess when consultation with outside counsel is appropriate.
- Strong interpersonal, communication and collaboration skills to maintain an effective working relationship with internal and external stakeholders at all levels.
- The ability to prioritize and manage multiple tight deadlines in a fast-paced business environment.
- Excellent judgment in assessing risks and benefits.
- Creative problem solver.
- Hands-on attorney.
- Substantial experience working with a biotech or pharma company.
- Experience building for scale.
- Experience with domestic (U.S.) and international contracts.
- Experience with government contracting and subcontracting.
- Strong background in the life sciences, with a B.S., M.S. or Ph.D. in molecular biology, chemistry, pharmacology or related fields preferred.
About Twist Bioscience
Twist Bioscience synthesizes genes from scratch, known as “writing” DNA. Just as children learn to both read and write, the next phase of development for the genomics revolution is the ability to write DNA.
At Twist Bioscience, we work in service of people who are changing the world for the better. In fields such as health care, agriculture, industrial chemicals and data storage, our unique silicon-based DNA Synthesis Platform provides precision at a scale that is otherwise unavailable to our customers.
Twist Bioscience Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Twist Bioscience Corporation provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic characteristics, or any other category protected by law.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.