Twist is looking for a Senior Bioinformatics Scientist to join our R&D Team in the NGS target enrichment team. You will work alongside molecular and computational biologists to further deliver on our mission to extend and improve our Target Enrichment products. You will lead projects, design experiments, perform analyses, build tools, and collaborate with bench scientists in all aspects of Target Enrichment for a variety of applications. Our ideal candidate will have strong domain knowledge in genomics, excellent programming skills, and deep experience with next-generation sequencing and analysis. Strong communication skills and the ability to work independently are highly preferred.
- Lead Target Enrichment R&D projects, guiding wet- and dry-lab scientists in the design and performance of experiments and analysis
- Develop novel bioinformatics solutions for various target enrichment applications
- Collaborate with R&D Scientists in all phases of R&D work, and advise on genomics problems
- Perform NGS Target Enrichment panel design and analysis, including the development of custom algorithms
- Write and package pipelines for the design or analysis of NGS Target Enrichment experiments
- Support the wider R&D team with general bioinformatics needs
- Interact with customers to develop novel applications
Required skills and experience:
- Ph.D. in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, or equivalent experience
- 3+ years of industry experience in an NGS-focused workplace
- Strong programming skills, with Python highly preferred
- Proven ability to develop custom algorithms for DNA-based applications
- Broad experience with next-generation sequencing technologies (Illumina, PacBio, Nanopore, BGI/MGI, 10X genomics), and applications (cancer, genotyping, viral, metagenomics, RNA-seq, methylation, single-cell, rare disease, CNV, etc.)
- Deep experience in Next-Generation Sequencing data analysis including common tools (eg. bwa, GATK, Picard, etc.), file formats (FASTQ, BAM, VCF, BED), and databases (UCSC, Ensembl, NCBI)
- Strong background in genomics and genome structure, with a preference for human genomics
- Hands-on experience with large-scale genomic data (e.g. whole genome sequencing, RNA-seq, etc.)
- Excellent understanding of molecular and cell biology
- Strong experimental design and statistics skills
- Hands-on experience with version control and software package development
- Ability to collaborate effectively with a variety of peers, including non-bioinformaticians
- Excellent data visualization, communication, and documentation skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Experience with Target Enrichment
- Machine learning experience
- Familiarity with bioinformatics software platforms (Seven Bridges, DNAnexus)
About Twist Bioscience
Twist Bioscience synthesizes genes from scratch, known as “writing” DNA. Just as children learn to both read and write, the next phase of development for the genomics revolution is the ability to write DNA.
At Twist Bioscience, we work in service of people who are changing the world for the better. In fields such as health care, agriculture, industrial chemicals and data storage, our unique silicon-based DNA Synthesis Platform provides precision at a scale that is otherwise unavailable to our customers.
Twist Bioscience Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Twist Bioscience Corporation provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic characteristics, or any other category protected by law.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.