We are looking for motivated and enthusiastic individuals to join our Twist Bioscience Operations Team in San Francisco. The ideal candidate will be driven and will do what it takes to keep synthetic biology manufacturing on track in a fast-paced start-up environment.
The Manufacturing Supervisor will be very knowledgeable in basic synthetic/molecular biology skills (PCR, vector production, cloning, miniprep, DNA analysis, sequencing, packaging) and will perform, train and/or oversee the production staff on basic molecular biology workflows in a highly automated, high-throughput manner and will be responsible for the manufacture and analysis of a variety of custom gene products across Twist Bioscience’s proprietary workflow according to SOPs for the daily production schedule. The Manufacturing Supervisor will be the main point of contact for shift operators, will assure the shift staff is working according to the plan of record, will provide guidance, make decisions on priorities and troubleshooting.
The Manufacturing Supervisor will be responsible for leading the pass down of information between shifts. The ideal candidate will work independently, be very neat and organized, have excellent molecular biology skills, maintain and build 5S systems, contribute to process improvement, and documentation, and communicate effectively with peers/management. The ideal candidate with have knowledge of good laboratory practices (GLPs) and familiarity working in GMP or ISO rated production, and experience leading and training others. The candidate must be comfortable working in a LEAN manufacturing/controlled laboratory environment.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Manufacture high-quality custom gene products in a high throughput MFG lab according to established SOPs
- Maintenance of thorough, accurate and detailed documentation/databases of all work produced in batch records, databases or other acceptable formats including problems and deviations
- Operation of basic semi-automated/automated lab equipment for molecular biology workflow
- Tracking of metrics to track quality of product produced by both physical and functional test methods
- Understanding of scientific principles in order to problem solve, troubleshoot test results
- Keen observation and attitude to proactively identify production problems/solutions, provide solutions on lab techniques, protocols, processes, handling of product and equipment
- Upholding standards as defined by the manufacturing process
- Supporting continuous cost/process improvement initiatives
- Working in a safe manner
- Maintaining/calibrating select lab equipment
- Leading shift pass down efforts and prioritizing workflows
- Accountability for the shift when senior personnel are not on site
- Acting as advisor to meet schedules and/or resolve technical problems and provides production guidance to junior MFG personnel
- Scheduling of staff
- Review and verification of production batch records, manufacturing documents
- Submission and writing of incident reports, CAPAs, planned deviations etc
- A.S. or B.S. in Biology, Chemistry or Biochemistry
- 5 year minimum lab experience in manufacturing environment
- Must be experienced operating liquid handlers such as Hamiltons and Tecans
- Experience with biology instrumentation used for PCR, cell-based cloning, mini-prep extraction and purification is a huge plus
- Experience with sample tracking software and developed interfaces between robotic instrumentation and LIMS / MES systems
- Experience working within ISO, GMP, LEAN manufacturing environment and follow the lean manufacturing concepts
- Excellent scientific computation and data analysis capabilities.
- Experience assessing current processes and techniques and implementing procedural improvements
- Experience leading small teams within a laboratory environment.
- Good problem solving and communication skills
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time while performing duties
- Must be able to work safely with chemicals and hazardous materials
- Must be able to lift up to 20 lbs
- Must be able to work outside of regular work hours/work a flexible shift as needed
SHIFT 2B: Wednesday-Saturday / Thursday-Saturday 7PM-730AM 12h day/ 3d /4d alt work week with 1 weekend day
About Twist Bioscience
Twist Bioscience synthesizes genes from scratch, known as “writing” DNA. Just as children learn to both read and write, the next phase of development for the genomics revolution is the ability to write DNA.
At Twist Bioscience, we work in service of people who are changing the world for the better. In fields such as health care, agriculture, industrial chemicals and data storage, our unique silicon-based DNA Synthesis Platform provides precision at a scale that is otherwise unavailable to our customers.
Twist Bioscience Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Twist Bioscience Corporation provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic characteristics, or any other category protected by law.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.