Twist is looking for a Scientific Development Manager (SDM). In this role, you will be an integral part of our Sales team and serve as a primary scientific field contact for selected pharmaceutical, biotechnology and other related companies. The SDM’s primary goal is to help strengthen Twist’s market position within these key accounts in the area of gene synthesis, variant libraries, and oligo pools. In this role, you will be responsible for providing pre- and post-sales technical support (field based), developing strategic goals, building key customer relationships, identifying business opportunities, and maintaining extensive knowledge of market needs to increase opportunities and thereby increase Twist’s value to our key customers and maximize revenue for Twist Bioscience. You will partner closely with our sales team to create strategies to increase existing customer purchasing and identify new, potential customers of high value (e.g., KOLs).
The SDM acts as a liaison between the customer and Twist’s internal R&D, Product Management group and other key managers with respect to evaluations of new products. Key to this role is the ability to communicate effectively and scientifically with external stakeholders of all levels - from the level of Research Assistant right up to C-level, and interpret these conversations to impact the science and research of the customer through Twist product purchasing and successful use. New relationships should be sought, where through conversation and collaboration, Twist is better able to drive and impact customer science. A wide ranging scientific knowledge, and the capacity to listen is vital.
The SDM will report to the EMEA Manager Scientific Development Team.
During the development phase, early commercialization and launch, the SDM will also be responsible for managing and maintaining commercial alliances with key internal Twist Pharma resources and management and external pharma/biotech partner stakeholders. These activities will be carried out in close collaboration with the Global Director of Business Development for Libraries and Antibody Development Solutions and EMEA Manager Scientific Development Team
Prior experience with process development and manufacturing of complex biological products (particularly bio-pharmaceuticals and or Industrial enzymes) is desired to enable translation of customer requirements to internal teams. This position will be based in BeNeLux, with travel requirements of up to 50-70%.
- Provide expert understanding and strong technical competency in discussing Twist’s capabilities and product offerings with selected pharmaceutical, biotechnology, and other related companies.
- Build and nurture relationships with stakeholders and customers to better understand their strategic direction and perspectives.
- Prospect and generate leads of potential customers, collaborators, and partners that will generate revenues from gene synthesis, variant libraries, and oligo pool sales as well as products in alpha testing phase.
- Provide application support for pre- and post sales activities for Twist’s product portfolio including genes, custom DNA libraries, and oligo pools to help support the sales team to achieve quota.
- Extensive local and regional travel (50-70% time) to work in the field with Sales, attend meetings with key customers, provide training, and participate in trade shows.
- Identify, nurture, and manage collaborations to network and collaborate on leads with the account management sales team.
- Support sales team in technical discussions, presentations, and meetings with selected pharmaceutical, biotechnology, and other related companies.
- Provide high-level technical support to selected pharmaceutical, biotechnology and other related companies in discussing and design requirements and providing guidance or input on experiments related to use of Twist’s products
- Liaise between customers, sales team, product management, and other internal teams including R&D and Production.
- Generate and drive a continuous deal flow of library sales and antibody development solution contracts with collaborators and partners that will lead to high value commercial agreements, with an emphasis on agreements that cover antibody development services provided by Twist Pharma.
- Primary lead to solicit and pitch Twist capabilities (presentations), competencies and offerings (with the support of Twist Pharma scientific resource) to strategically important potential new collaborators and partners
- Develop strong working relationships with subject matter experts throughout Twist Pharma and Twist, Inc; assign and coordinate tasks to more qualified co-workers involved in the pursuit of each opportunity.
- Network with customers and provide feedback to Marketing on customer requirements for new applications or products.
- Keep informed of competitive market information at industry seminars, trade shows, and conferences and provide reports on trends to Sales and Product Management
- Keep abreast of all research developments in the field and summarizing for the team.
- Minimum of 10 years of business experience and success within other pharmaceutical/biotech/protein engineering segments.
- Experience working in technical sales
- Experience developing and cultivating customers and opportunities in the Therapeutic or Biopharma industry organization
- Advanced degree and/or at least 5 years of experience within antibody development, industrial enzymes or related scientific profession required.
- Strong technical knowledge of protein engineering, CRISPR and gene synthesis.
- In-depth knowledge and experience within the variant library and antibody engineering space
- Experience working in a global environment is preferred
- Experience working in a corporate, global or regional sales and marketing role involving gene mutant library and/or antibody development products/services.
- Advanced knowledge of, and practical experience in biotechnology product development
- High attention to detail
- High self-motivation and must have demonstrated ability to work in a collaborative team environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience of customer support and use of CRM system a plus
About Twist Bioscience
Twist Bioscience synthesizes genes from scratch, known as “writing” DNA. Just as children learn to both read and write, the next phase of development for the genomics revolution is the ability to write DNA.
At Twist Bioscience, we work in service of people who are changing the world for the better. In fields such as health care, agriculture, industrial chemicals and data storage, our unique silicon-based DNA Synthesis Platform provides precision at a scale that is otherwise unavailable to our customers.
Twist Bioscience Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Twist Bioscience Corporation provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic characteristics, or any other category protected by law.