The Programmable Applications team are transforming the way builders can get started with Twilio, changing the time it takes for Twilio technologies to be rolled out from months to minutes. Our mission is to fundamentally change how Twilio is consumed.
This team builds the suite of microservices that will form the foundation of a product that can be deployed through configuration only, but retains total programmability at every layer of the stack.
The set of microservices required touch every single Twilio product, front end and back end. Powering consumer, agent, supervisor and administrations user interfaces.
This team touches everything, moves fast, and changes Twilio for the better.
About the job:
As a senior engineer at Twilio, you are empowered to create wonderful experiences for our customers, who are developers and builders. You are excited when you release something that makes it easier for a developer to focus on the creative side of code.
You think about how your product will help the customer that spends $10s of millions with Twilio, and the customer who hasn't spent $1 yet.
You will own, create and operate REST APIs and infrastructure to support front end user interfaces. These services will transform the way people get started with Twilio.
Your services will go from concept to sustained exponential growth in a very short period of time. You enjoy getting the MVP out the door, and you know that to take services to scale require developing a complex distributed platform and will be concerned with availability, throughput, latency and real-time responsiveness.
You will own and operate production services in AWS cloud infrastructure using the latest tools, like Datadog and Rollbar.
Senior Engineers are critical in making sure Twilio is loved by developers and builders alike, that it is easy and fun to use, and stays on the cutting edge.
You can make our customer's lives better.
- Collaborate with Product Managers, Architects and Engineering leaders to define, architect and build new customer-facing features.
- Own, operate, and maintain your team’s services in a distributed production environment. You own what you build, from your desktop to production.
- Drive quality by writing unit, functional, load and performance tests.
- Tackle some of the most challenging problems you can face developing highly available services in a distributed cloud environment that needs to scale.
- Excel as an engineer and be a productive member of the team where leadership is a behavioral trait, not a title.
- Bachelor’s degree in CS or similar field, or a bootcamp graduate with 3+ years related work experience.
- Extensive experience scaling production backend systems. You can design and develop horizontally-scalable, resilient and performing-under-load systems. You have scaled data tiers employing a variety of SQL/NoSQL database and caching technologies.
- You are an expert in at least one web stack and framework.
- You believe test automation is the only scalable way to ensure quality, and have built and maintained an automated test suite.
- You have experience in JVM languages (Java/Scala)
- You have experience with Node.js
- You understand the CAP theorem
- You have worked with reactive front end frameworks, such as React or Vue.js
- You have experience working with authentication services from Active Directory to OAuth
- You have direct experience working with AWS, GCP or similar.
- Experience working in a DevOps environment.
Twilio's mission is to fuel the future of communications. Developers and businesses use Twilio to make communications relevant and contextual by embedding messaging, voice and video capabilities directly into their software applications. Founded in 2008, Twilio has over 650 employees, with headquarters in San Francisco and other offices in Bogotá, Dublin, Hong Kong, London, Madrid, Mountain View, Munich, New York City, Singapore and Tallinn.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status and operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. #LI-POST