Engineering Manager - Programmable Contact Center
Twilio's Cloud Communication Platform makes communications easy and powerful, empowering developers with the building blocks they need to innovate anywhere communications is needed.
The Programmable Contact Center team focus on making that vision easy to achieve for a huge industry, where we are helping companies transform the way they build their customer experiences, from major enterprises like ING to multi-billion dollar software companies like Zillow. TaskRouter is one of the products in the Programmable Contact Center portfolio, and is at the heart of Twilio’s biggest and most complex customer deployments. In 2017 it will be Twilio’s fastest growing product, growing at least 1000%
About the job:
At Twilio engineering managers grow teams and inspire them to contribute quality work. We need an experienced engineering manager to lead one or more engineering teams, including the TaskRouter team. You will lead these teams from design through deployment and operation of real-time, highly-scalable distributed services that must operate at better than five 9s availability, all while the product grows at an exponential growth rate. You will collaborate with Product to craft and deliver on the vision, strategy, and roadmap for TaskRouter and the broader Programmable Contact Center initiative.
- Attract and inspire high-quality talent for the team.
- Lead a team of passionate engineers with support and guidance to achieve sustained high velocity and predictability.
- Encourage a healthy work environment that’s both supportive and challenging.
- Grow employees through career development through coaching and mentoring for junior engineers, while guiding senior contributors to maximize their potential. Define goals, perform evaluations, and collaborate with employees on their objectives to provide a clear path for progression through personal development plans.
- Collaborate on roadmaps with Product Managers, Architects and Tech Leads to ensure the team has clear direction and priorities. Ensure there is cross-training and a healthy balance between features and technical debt.
- Serve as the team’s Scrum Master, breaking down roadblocks as well as managing communications with stakeholders and dependent teams. Create a culture of continuous improvement through retrospection.
- Institute development best practices to ensure the team produces high quality, well architected and supportable code through a continuous delivery model.
- Own, operate and maintain your team’s services, with a rotating on-call incident escalation and response processes for the team.
- As a member of the Engineering Management team, foster leadership principles and behaviors throughout the organization to groom the next generation of leaders.
What we’re looking for:
- You have three years experience leading a team as a Software Engineering Manager.
- You are curious, collaborative, humble and have empathy as a key trait.
- You are a strategic thinker and thrive operating in broad scope, from conception through continuous operation of 24x7 services.
- We are seeking leaders who have solved complex problems and have the aptitude to navigate uncharted waters.
- You have experience in a production Cloud / DevOps environment for high scale, low latency services.
- You have real passion for developer productivity.
- Experience with traditional relational databases like MySQL and Postgresql. Experience with NoSQL technologies like Redis, Cassandra is a plus.
- You have experience in JVM languages (Java/Scala)
- Completion of formal Agile training and have managed a Scrum team.
Twilio's mission is to fuel the future of communications. Developers and businesses use Twilio to make communications relevant and contextual by embedding messaging, voice and video capabilities directly into their software applications. Founded in 2008, Twilio has over 650 employees, with headquarters in San Francisco and other offices in Bogotá, Dublin, Hong Kong, London, Madrid, Mountain View, Munich, New York City, Singapore and Tallinn.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. #LI-POST