Hatch The Owl
Hatch The Owl is a new 6-month apprenticeship program at Twilio that aims to equip individuals having non-traditional technical backgrounds with industry experience in designing, developing and delivering production-ready software systems. We encourage anyone from an underrepresented group in tech to apply for this position. This includes, but is not limited to, women (self-identified), people of color, LGBTQIA, people with disabilities and veterans. The program is currently slated to start in July 2017.
About the job
For the first 3 months, you will be part of a team of apprentices working with twilio.org non-profit customers, making a real impact in the world and getting hands-on experience developing solutions on the Twilio’s communication platform. You will spend the next 3 months interning on one of our product engineering teams, learning about software development best practices from subject-matter experts and iterating on your team’s software systems. Throughout your apprenticeship, you will have access to formal training and multiple mentors to help you navigate your career path and develop your technical and interpersonal skills.
- Write high-quality, maintainable code that is well-documented and extensively tested
- Collaborate with team to rapidly and safely iterate and deploy production systems
- Participate in product and architecture reviews to determine project deliverables
- Contribute to regular team meetings to plan work on an ongoing basis
- Give and receive constructive feedback as part of peer code reviews
- Certification from a 12 week+ intensive full-time bootcamp program
- Experience with web applications, REST APIs and ORMs
- Willingness to learn Java, PHP or Python
- Strong communication and team skills
- A strong sense of empathy
- Appetite for knowledge
- Familiarity with the Scrum development framework
- Basic understanding of DevOps best practices
- Test driven development discipline
Twilio makes communications easy and powerful. With Twilio's platform, businesses can make communications relevant and contextual by embedding real-time communication and authentication capabilities directly into their software applications. Twilio gives businesses the ability to innovate, prototype, create, and connect with their customers at the right time and in the right way. Founded in 2008, Twilio is a public company based in San Francisco, California with other offices around the world.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status and operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. #LI-DNP