See yourself at Twilio
Join the team as our next Staff Database Reliability Engineer (L4) - Billing Platform.
Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we have presence throughout South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. We're on a journey to becoming a globally anti-racist, anti-oppressive, anti-bias company that actively opposes racism and all forms of oppression and bias. At Twilio, we support diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business. We employ thousands of Twilions worldwide, and we're looking for more builders, creators, and visionaries to help fuel our growth momentum.
About the job
This position is needed to help operate and troubleshoot a number of business-critical MySQL database clusters. Some of these clusters receive in excess of 1 billion writes per day, and rely on internally developed toolkits to help orchestrate backups, pivots, and other routine management tasks. As Twilio’s scale necessitates the move to managed databases like AWS Aurora, AWS Elasticache for Redis, we are looking for a team of database SREs who can help keep the existing self-managed clusters running while also helping with migrations to managed alternatives.
In this role, you’ll:
- Be responsible for the operational health of several business-critical HA MySQL clusters running on EC2.
- Be responsible for improving monitoring and alerting practices around database health.
- Help diagnose operational issues, and develop and implement proposals for fixing them.
- Have a critical role in shaping the next-generation of database tooling at Twilio focused on managed databases.
- Help teams migrate to managed databases in a piecemeal fashion according to their needs.
- Meet critical latency, availability, and reliability goals and service level objectives.
- Collaborate with software engineering and operations teams to quickly highlight and resolve problems with database and its connected systems.
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- 5+ years in a role that involves DB administration, e.g., DB SRE, DBA, etc.
- Deep familiarity with High Availability MySQL 5.7+ operations, including key metrics and other aspects of observability.
- Knowledge of at least 1 High Availability toolkit for MySQL, e.g. Percona MHA.
- Ability to work with at least 1 major coding language, e.g., Java, Python.
- Ability to work with at least 1 scripting language e.g., Python, Ruby, Bash.
- Experience working with AWS, GCP, Azure, or other major cloud provider.
- Experience with Software development and best practices for coding applications.
- Experience with building platforms at scale for containerized workloads, particularly leveraging Kubernetes.
- Experience with zero-downtime database migrations.
- Experience with a managed database like AWS Aurora and AWS Elasticache for Redis.
- Experience with non-relational databases like AWS DynamoDB.
- Experience with infrastructure-as-code solutions like Terraform.
- Some development skills on operational tooling for databases.
- Experience working in regulated-data industries like billing, finance or health.
This role will be remote in the US but is not eligible to be hired in San Francisco CA, Oakland CA, San Jose CA or the surrounding areas.
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.
- The estimated pay range for this role, based in Colorado, is $160,000 - $200,000
- Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
The successful candidate’s starting salary will be determined based on permissible, non-discriminatory factors such as skills, experience, and geographic location within the state. This role is also eligible to participate in Twilio’s equity plan and for the following benefits: health care insurance, 401(k) retirement account, paid sick time, paid personal time off, paid parental leave.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Twilio is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, reproductive health decisions, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Additionally, Twilio participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Twilio is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.