See yourself at Twilio
Join the team as our next Flex Platform Staff, Software Engineer in Test.
Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we're on a journey to becoming a globally antiracist company that supports diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business. We employ thousands of Twilions worldwide, and we're looking for more builders, creators, and visionaries to help fuel our growth momentum.
About the job
Twilio is growing rapidly and seeking a Software Developer Engineer in Test in the Flex Business Unit. Flex, the first fully programmable cloud contact center, is a product that integrates both native Twilio services as well as serving up a pluggable infrastructure that allows partners and customers to extend and customize the product for their unique needs. As Software Engineer in Test in the platform team, we make Flex reliable for customers and efficient for engineers.
As a Software Developer Engineer in Test, you and your team will drive test framework design and automation and build our platform capabilities in test as we expand into multiple tenancies and regions. Additionally, you’ll have the opportunity to influence and implement architectural solutions that will enable us to achieve our goal of being the world’s most trusted communication platform. Not only will you be responsible for tackling some of the most complex and exciting technical problems in the industry, you will also be working across the product scope based on priority need and work directly with others to provide advice and guidance on implementation approach, engage in cross-team technical discussions, build relationships across architecture and engineering that help resolve bottlenecks and provide the best production solution.
As a Software Developer Engineer in Test on the Flex Platform team:
- Develop common tools and reusable test components and frameworks based on Twilio Platform
- Enhance automation test framework for better traceability, more actionable analysis and smarter decisions
- Develop ability to measure and report on software health and release quality
- Develop plan and execute resilience engineering testing
- Bring your unique perspective that challenges the team to think about resiliency, operability, and scalability
- Develop simple solutions independently and with team members
- Help define, break down and prioritize work in partnership with team
- Works independently to troubleshoot/determine resolution for issues in your team's domain
- Follow Twilio engineering processes
- Interface with other teams, be a point of contact for technical systems your team owns
- Build relationships with peers across teams
- Participate in design meetings and Agile ceremonies
- Be responsible for documentation of projects you work on
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- 5+ years of software development experience in a modern programming language (Go, Python, Java, Ruby, or C++)
- Perform thorough and thoughtful code reviews for lower-level engineers in order to help level them up through their engineering career journey
- Drive technical decisions for your functional domain. Comfortable sharing your vision with senior leadership, and working closely with engineering teams to execute.
- Evaluate new technologies that could be brought to bear to solve Twilio’s technical challenges as they arise
- Help resolve technical issues/blockers as a developer on the team
- Work with teams across the company to troubleshoot/determine resolution for complex issues
- Work with Engineering Managers and Product Managers to understand priorities and roadmap
- Champion good engineering habits (development techniques, TDD, security, and tech debt balance, agile habits) within your team
- Document projects you and your team work on
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to influence and build effective working relationships with all levels of the organization.
- Are passionate about enabling other developers and driving teams to efficient decisions
- Build relationships with key engineers in your focus area
This role will be Remote in USA. No travel is required.
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.
*Please note this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well. The information below is provided for those hired in Colorado only.
*If you are a Colorado applicant:
- The estimated pay range for this role, based in Colorado, is $160,080 - $200,100
- Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
The successful candidate’s starting salary will be determined based on permissible, non-discriminatory factors such as skills, experience, and geographic location within the state. This role is also eligible to participate in Twilio’s equity plan and for the following benefits: health care insurance, 401(k) retirement account, paid sick time, paid personal time off, paid parental leave.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Twilio is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, reproductive health decisions, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Additionally, Twilio participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Twilio is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at email@example.com.