See yourself at Twilio
The Segment Infrastructure group within Twilio is looking for a Staff Engineer who is passionate about creating high quality, modern solutions to complex engineering problems and help define the future of Customer Data Platforms. In this role, you will be responsible for designing and building a suite of storage and compute building blocks that form the foundation of a strong Customer Data Platform. You’ll also be responsible for mentoring, sharing knowledge, and guiding the technical decisions of the team to set us up for long-term success, both as a product and as a team.
Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we have presence throughout South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. We're on a journey to becoming a globally anti-racist, anti-oppressive, anti-bias company that actively opposes racism and all forms of oppression and bias. At Twilio, we support diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business. We employ thousands of Twilions worldwide, and we're looking for more builders, creators, and visionaries to help fuel our growth momentum.
About the job
A glimpse of what we do within the Segment Infrastructure - Data Platform group:
- One of the largest Kafka implementations that process Trillions of events per month
- Data Platform SREs built Centrifuge, a database-as-a-queue system, which processes millions of events per second
- kafka-go, a popular Go client library for Kafka
- We love finding the best tools for the job at hand, for example integrating ClickHouse for customer-facing and internal statistics and running Kafka and FoundationDB at scale
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
As a Staff Engineer, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- Build the next generation of data platform building blocks that enable internal teams and customers to unlock value from their data
- Build globally available and highly scalable distributed systems
- Collaborate with teams across the R&D org to ensure their services are multi-region capable
- Mentor other engineers on the team on technical architecture and design
- Participate in driving Segment as a market leader in the development of Open Source Software
- Participate in an on-call rotation to support our business-critical infrastructure
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
We are looking for a leader who lives the Twilio Magic and has a demonstrated track record of working in a fast paced and iterative environment. They also have:
- 6+ years experience building and operating large-scale production systems
- Deep expertise in building and operating distributed big data systems
- Expertise in Linux internals, TCP/IP, DNS, Load balancing technologies
- Experience in writing production-grade code in a modern programming language
- Have hands-on experience with big data systems such as Kafka, Flink, etc.
- Deep understanding of architectural patterns of high-scalability distributed systems
- Have led cross-functional teams, large projects, or owned and built an important, complex system
This position is open for remote locations anywhere in the USA. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well-being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.
(Location dependent information)
- The estimated pay range for this role, based in Colorado, is $160,080 - $200,100.00.
- Non-Sales: Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
The successful candidate’s starting salary will be determined based on permissible, non-discriminatory factors such as skills, experience, and geographic location within the state. This role is also eligible to participate in Twilio’s equity plan and for the following benefits: health care insurance, 401(k) retirement account, paid sick time, paid personal time off, paid parental leave.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Twilio is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, reproductive health decisions, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Additionally, Twilio participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Twilio is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at email@example.com.