See yourself at Twilio
Join the team as our next Sr. Manager, Data Engineering, Data Platform and Analytics.
Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we have presence throughout South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. We're on a journey to becoming a globally anti-racist, anti-oppressive, anti-bias company that actively opposes racism and all forms of oppression and bias. At Twilio, we support diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business. We employ thousands of Twilions worldwide, and we're looking for more builders, creators, and visionaries to help fuel our growth momentum.
About the job
This position is needed to set the vision for and deliver on low/no-code ETL and other data engineering tools to make it easy for Twilions to rapidly transform, store and query data. Your team will also be responsible for managing a Spark compute platform that’s used across Twilio and the underlying Data lake. You will be responsible for deciding the future direction for the Data lake’s table formats and consolidating multiple Data lakes into a single entity.
We live in a world that’s filled with vast amounts of data. The modern data stack has many tools and components. Yet it’s not easy to quickly get insights from data, especially at large scale, when data is distributed in many locations, and stored in multiple formats. Your mission is to make it easy to transform data and aggregate data, regardless of where it lives, and eventually build an elegant query interface that makes asking questions of data, a truly simple experience.
In this role, you’ll:
- Hire and develop a diverse and inclusive team of top performers.
- Set a vision for your team in partnership with product management
- Ship innovative solutions to challenging technical problems
- Build the next generation of a Spark compute platform and the next version of our Data lake
- Coach and guide your team on various aspects of the software development lifecycle
- Live the Twilio Magic
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- 6+ years of experience writing production-grade code in a modern programming language.
- 5+ years of people management experience.
- Experience having built part of a modern data stack, from design to production code.
- Experience hiring top talent and driving career growth for early-in-career and senior engineers.
- The ability to set ambitious goals with measurable results and familiarity with frameworks such as OKRs.
- A proven track record of delivering complex, large-scale projects.
- Experience working with product managers to collaboratively set a vision.
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills.
- Deep technical knowledge about one or more of Spark, dbt, Hudi, Iceberg and Deltalake.
- Clear understanding of the software development lifecycle from reviewing requirements to debugging complex systems in production.
- Experience maintaining and operating always-on cloud services.
- Comfortable diving into the code with your team when the situation calls for it.
- BS/MS/PhD or equivalent
- Strong customer focus
This role will be remote, based in the US.
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.
*Please note this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well. The information below is provided for those hired in Colorado only.
*If you are a Colorado applicant:
- The estimated pay range for this role, based in Colorado, is $170,000 - $220,000
- Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
The successful candidate’s starting salary will be determined based on permissible, non-discriminatory factors such as skills, experience, and geographic location within the state. This role is also eligible to participate in Twilio’s equity plan and for the following benefits: health care insurance, 401(k) retirement account, paid sick time, paid personal time off, paid parental leave.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Twilio is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, reproductive health decisions, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Additionally, Twilio participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Twilio is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at email@example.com.